25. ** Queen **

As we rode into the Capitol, the endless sea of people cheering and smiling was quite a sight to behold. We had all grown so accustomed to sadness, rage, and ridicule, that joyful shouts of excitement felt more disturbing than the latter. However, I couldn't help but breathe in such a rare moment for humanity, where happiness was truly stemming from a glorious once-in-a-lifetime celebration. The rightful heir, Queen Historia Reiss, was retaking the throne from the fake impostor who had sat there so uselessly before her. She may have been a shy, meek little girl only months prior, but after all she had been through, she was Krista no more. She truly embodied what it meant to be Ruler of the Walls.

During the ceremony, Levi stood beside Commander Erwin, who was sporting a slowly healing black eye and swollen cheek. The irony of it all was that instead of having a noose hanging around his neck and being convicted of treason, Erwin stood tall for all to see, as Historia, a member of the Survey Corps who had fought under his command, accepted the crown. From where I stood with the rest of my squad, I could see just how proud Erwin was as his eyes shone brightly, beaming with delight.

With his hands behind his back, Levi watched his good friend and superior closely. The way Erwin seemed to exude such unadulterated honor and dignity before the citizens of the Capitol seemed to be both amusing and admirable to Levi. Only once during the entire ceremony did Levi glance down at his squad, but when he did, it was a long, steady gaze that seemed to linger on each of his subordinates equally, until he looked at me. Closing his eyes, he bowed his chin to his chest sighed, before softening the way he stared. My mouth slanted slightly into a sweet acknowledgment before he turned his attention back to center stage, where Queen Historia stood in salute before her people.

Such a grand and humble pose sent the crowd into a massive frenzy; cheering, clapping and crying for their savior. As for those who wore a Coat of Arms on their back, it was the bearer of the Wings of Freedom who soaked in the applause the most. Historia may have been crowned as Queen of the People, Ruler of the Walls, but she was a Survey Corps Scout first.

We filed out uniformly, marching in a straight line as we followed the soldier who had been standing to our left. I turned to follow Mikasa, as Jean turned to follow me. However, the moment we broke rank, I could hear Eren beginning to argue with Mikasa as Connie and Sasha burst out laughing. I watched as Jean and Armin timidly peered down at me, then shuffled over to join the commotion. I shook my head, reminding myself that they were still kids.

"Alright you two, what the hell has you so heated already?" I laughed, stepping between Eren and Mikasa. However, they both slapped their mouths shut tight and looked around anxiously. With a sigh, I let it go and began the long trek to meet back up with Levi, gesturing for them all to follow. As we traversed the glamorous halls, I could hear the accusatory whispers behind me as the hushed argument picked up where it had left off, complete with snickers and snorts from the rest of them. Shoving my hands into my coat pockets, I sniggered quietly to myself, finding adolescent naivety incredibly humorous.

After ambling about for what felt like forever, we finally reached the Royal Quarters where Historia stood wearing a giant smile on her face. I bowed my head respectfully, giving the girl a warm greeting before she was practically bulldozed by the rest of our squad. Such avid excitement and joy poured from their mouths all at once as they each fought to be the first to speak with "Queen" Historia. I hung back quietly, allowing the tight-knit group of friends to enjoy their reunion. Only a few minutes passed before I noticed a lone figure appear at the end of the hall. I cleared my throat to get everyone's attention, tilting my head to guide their gaze.

"Historia, seriously, you HAVE to do it," I heard Connie say as he hissed through laughter.

Glancing toward the new Queen, she looked at me briefly before turning her head with a huff. I watched a smug smirk appear on Mikasa's face, which was quite the odd expression for her. Historia pushed up the clean white sleeves that draped over her arms from her gown and began marching down the hallway toward Levi. What the hell were these kids up to?

"Wait! Historia, hold on! Are you seriously going to do this!?" Eren shouted as he ran after her.

I followed my squad a few steps behind, not exactly wanting to be a part of possibly pissing off the Captain. I watched Eren become more and more distressed the closer we got to Levi. After a few more attempts to change Historia's mind over whatever the hell they were arguing about, Historia shot a glance at Eren and muttered, "I'm not fit to be Queen unless I do it."

Jean joined in on encouraging Historia, until everyone stopped dead in their tracks, noticing how Captain Levi had finally turned to acknowledge them. The silence was deafening, but Historia was now visibly shaking; it could have been from fear, anxiety or adrenaline. I watched as her fists closed tightly and her shudders became audible until she roared in defiance and charged toward Levi. Without flinching, Levi slightly turned his stance so Historia's approaching fist would punch his arm instead of his abdomen. Either way, it must have felt similar to a fly landing upon his sleeve. No matter what, Historia's actions alone produced a shrill gasp from everyone except Mikasa, who still held a prideful smile across her lips.

Backing away slowly yet triumphantly, Queen Historia raised her fists and laughed nervously as she shouted, "HA! What now, huh!? I'm your Queen! Whaddaya got to say-"

Historia's skittish celebration was cut short when the strangest sound was emitted from Levi's throat and a subtle smile spanned his lips. Was he... laughing?

"Thanks... all of you," Levi chuckled, legitimate joy radiating from behind his eyes.

My heart skipped a beat when I realized I was the only one there who had ever seen him smile, who had ever heard his warm laughter. Never before had any of them experienced their Captain acting this way; Never before had he allowed his softer side to be revealed. I watched as everyone stood absolutely stunned by Levi's reaction to being attacked by the petite blonde. For a few moments, no one moved, almost fearing that his joy was a farce. Once Levi lifted his hand, gesturing for everyone to move out, I witnessed everyone flinch with differing intensities. I just sighed happily, placing my hand on Historia's shoulder.

"Seems to me that you'll be one helluva Queen, you little rebel. I'll see you around, Historia."

With that, I was the first to follow Levi down the hall, with our squad slowly straggling behind. What I didn't expect was for Levi's hand to slip into my own, still in their line of sight. Giving my palm a gentle squeeze, I looked over at Levi to find him gazing back at me with a certain sense of serenity. A bit baffled at first, I wasn't sure how to respond to his open affection, especially since he had so visibly agonized earlier. With another chuckle, he realized it was going to take his squad a while to bid farewell to the Queen since it was strange to leave her behind. Releasing my hand from his grasp, he slowed his steps until he was no longer walking, then turned to wrap his arms around my waist, pulling me against him. My cheeks burned a faint crimson when my lips were unexpectedly greeted by his, as Levi granted me a sweet kiss.

"L-Levi, when was the last time you were checked for concussions? You laughed after being punched, initiated holding my hand in front of everyone, and now this?"

"Tch, I'm fine. Well, maybe even more than just fine. I'm....grateful."