15. ** Things I Never Knew **

Cradling my stomach in silence, my mind began to race, utterly overwhelmed by Kenny's words. Even if I was pregnant, it was way too early to tell; perhaps only a week or two along. Even so, how could he have known? Or was he just trying to get to me, hit a nerve of some kind to make me talk?

My eyes followed Kenny's movements as he pushed himself to a stand and slowly walked over to where Caven stood leaning against the wall, arms crossed in annoyance. Resting his hand on her shoulder, he sighed before muttering,

"Sorry, Caven. Looks like you're gonna have to wait a little longer to get that power of hers. About nine months longer..."

"Are you fucking kidding me? That goddamn whore!" Caven griped angrily, tightening her fists with rage. "Honestly Kenny, how the hell could she even still be pregnant after all that!?"

The same exact thought crossed my mind the moment Caven's words left her mouth. I was in critical condition and had lost a lot of blood, but then again, I had felt worse. Still cradling my belly, curled up in the fetal position on the ground, I glanced down at my thigh that still loosely wore the belt I had used as a tourniquet, and tilted my head in bewilderment. Lifting my fingertips to meet my leg, I brushed them along the gashes where the grappling hook had dug into my flesh only hours prior. Blinking a few times, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, I squinted my eyes to ensure what I was seeing was real.

The puncture wounds that had bled so profusely before, and had caused me so much pain, were almost completely healed. Only a few small scabs remained, lightly hovering over the newly formed scar. In denial, I began tracing my fingers over different areas of my body, discovering more wounds that had begun to heal so quickly. My curious search came to a halt at the sound of Kenny chuckling close by. He had dismissed Caven who left in a huff before making his way back to my side.

Pushing my palms against the floor, I gradually found my way back up to sitting, no longer lying in my own blood. Kenny withdrew a flask from his belt and stole a swig, before tossing it to me.

"Here. You're gonna want a stiff drink for what I gotta say."

The stench of whiskey filled my nostrils as I glanced down at the dull copper container. I held it up to my lips, then pulled back in hesitation.

"But, what if I'm..."

"Ah shit, sorry. Right. Have some water, " Kenny babbled, slightly embarrassed by his offer. Swiping the flask from my hand, he quickly replaced it with a canteen full of water, which I immediately chugged down to the last drop. Wiping the side of my hand against my mouth, I exhaled loudly, then waited...

Kenny removed his hat and wiped the perspiration from his brow, before returning it to his head. After pacing back and forth a few times while mumbling to himself, he finally released a sigh of abdication and plopped down next to me.

"Heh. Where to begin..."

His once cold and vengeful eyes now seemed to be clouded in sorrow, as Kenny began to tell me things I had never known about my past. About who I am, who I really am, and the disturbing connection between my family and his.

"How well do you know your history, kid?"

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"The history of humanity, how we got stuck inside these walls surrounded by titans... that history."

"I guess I know enough... From what my parents taught me, and everything I learned from joining the Survey Corps--"