8. ** I Saw You **

I couldn't decide on whether to be pissed or grateful. I opened my eyes to find my room drenched in blinding sunlight, not the usual soft nudge of dawn. I jolted upright to look out my window, finding the sun hanging high in the sky. I couldn't believe how long I had slept. Levi must have ordered someone to cover my shift on watch, since I had been next in our rotation.

When I finally fully woke up, I was honestly fairly confused. I hadn't fallen asleep here, but I vaguely remembered being carried to bed, not much else. All I knew was, at that very moment, how incredibly loud my stomach was complaining; louder than the words babbling through my brain. I was ravenously hungry from sleeping through breakfast, and my need for food only worsened when delicious scents wafted into my room from the kitchen, teasing my nose with its glorious aroma.

I quickly dressed myself for the day and ran my fingers through my bed head. I had barely brushed the door knob with my fingers when it pulled away from my grasp. Startled, I looked up to find Levi locking his gaze with mine; his beautiful gray eyes glistening from the sunlight that flooded into the hall.

"You're awake," he murmured.

"You seem surprised. Why didn't you wake me? I've already slept through half the da-"

My legs faltered backwards as I was caught off guard. Levi reached for my face, plunging his lips into mine for a desperate kiss. Rather taken aback, I pulled away slightly, and awkwardly stuttered, "Wh-what - whoa- what was that for?"

As if he had done nothing out of the ordinary, Levi glanced down at me calmly before nonchalantly inviting me to join him in the dining hall, where everyone had already gathered for lunch. I stood in the doorway for a moment, still wondering what the hell just happened. He wasn't one to just randomly plant passionate kisses on me out of nowhere. I could barely brush his hand with mine in front of our squad without him suddenly becoming clumsy or embarrassed. But I shook it off and decided to just enjoy the taste of him that lingered on my lips. I followed him down the hall, recalling how hungry I was, as I became eager once more to devour whatever meal was beckoning me so temptuously.

Once we reached the dining room, I acknowledged the greeting from my squad and pulled my chair out from beside Historia. On my left was Levi, who sat at the head of the table, already sipping tea from his small porcelain cup. And to my surprise, I looked up to find Eren sitting across from me.

Levi didn't even wake me when Eren came to?

"Eren! Good to see you're awake! How are you feeling?"

Eren seemed to nervously avoid eye contact with me and quickly mumbled, "F-fine- I'm fine."

I paused, glancing over at Levi, who just stared at me from over his tea cup. My eyes wandered over to Mikasa, then Armin, and slowly around the table. Did no one else notice his demeanor had suddenly changed? I cleared my throat slightly, hoping Eren would pay attention to the concern on my face. His eyes flashed up once, followed by an uneasy double-take.

The moment his radiant green eyes locked on mine, a strange, icy sensation grew in the pit of my stomach, engulfing me from the inside out. The fear in his eyes gripped my soul tightly until I blinked, breaking my catatonic stare. I shook my head slightly and grabbed my midsection, trying to recover from whatever had suddenly possessed me.

Staring down at the food I had craved so terribly just moments before, I found that the sight of it was now utterly repulsive. My mind was racing, as I was absolutely baffled by the effect of Eren's glance. I inhaled deeply before scooting my chair back and excusing myself from the table.

I felt Eren's eyes follow me out of the room, accompanied by Levi's. I needed air...and fast. I reached for the handle to open the front door but was abruptly pulled backwards into a strong embrace.