14. ** Survival Mode **

"Get your filthy hands off of me, you bastard!"

I struggled against who I could only guess was Carlen, as his hands forcefully began to tear off the already shredded clothes from my battered body.

"Come on, I deserve some serious gratitude for carrying your ass down all those stairs! Now, come here and show me your appreciation!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I witnessed a smirk of satisfaction slither across Caven's lips before she turned and walked away with glee. I was no match for the strength of the burly MP who was now salivating over me, like a predator preparing to feast upon his prey. I had nowhere to run; hell I could barely muster up the strength to stand, let alone try to escape. But I wasn't about to allow myself to be violated again.

I could feel myself slipping down the wall as Carlen gained more control, hovering over me proudly. If he pinned me to the floor, it all would be over. There would be no evading his attack. Clenching my fists, I braced myself, mentally preparing for the only action I could think to take.

Pinned between Carlen's arms, he lunged forward in an attempt to devour my lips, but I dodged his assault and brought my teeth to his neck, biting down as hard as I could. With the taste of blood staining my tongue, I ripped my head away, tearing at his skin. Carlen reared backward, roaring in anger and pain, as he clasped his hand over his wound.

Swiftly rolling out from underneath him, I had at least stopped him from going any further. Now, more than anything else, Carlen was pissed off. I felt his free hand grab my ankle in an attempt to pull me back. But I was able to rapidly kick him in the face, throwing him back as his head slammed against the hard floor.

A sudden rush of adrenaline tore through my veins, as I whipped around to face my attacker. Taking advantage of his sudden vulnerability, I jumped on top of his chest and began delivering blow after vicious blow to his jaw. My fists quickly became drenched in crimson, right before I was violently pulled off of the unconscious MP's body.

Thrashing about, I fought desperately to break free, spewing profanities and demanding that I be let go. But that only earned me a brutal punch to the face, as I cried out in anguish. I expected cheering shouts to follow the hit, but I was only met with a hush falling over the room. Everyone froze upon hearing the sound of Kenny's venomous cackle echoing through the halls.

"Well, Whaddaya know!? I got here just in time! Ya'll almost started the party without me!?"

Waltzing over to where I was being restrained, he pulled my chin into his hand and smiled down at me deviously.

"Tonight, little mouse, I finally get to reap what I had sewn years ago."

I glared at him as he dragged his thumb across my cheek, smearing the blood that had emerged from a deep laceration under my eye. Then, leaning forward, he growled gruffly into my ear,

"It's time for you to finally repay me for keeping you alive all those years. If it weren't for me, Viktor would have killed you long ago."

As he pulled away, I stared at him in absolute disgust and confusion, my mouth agape with surprise.

"What the hell are you talking about!? Never once did you attempt to save me from Viktor! Not one time! Come to think of it, you barely even acknowledged my presence when you were there! As far as I'm concerned, I don't owe you a goddamn thing!"

No longer cocky or amused, Kenny abruptly attacked my throat with his palm, tightening his gangly fingers around my neck. I could feel my body dangling above the floor as I clawed at his hand, no longer able to fully breathe.

"Don't you fuckin' dare play dumb with me, girl! You know exactly what Viktor wanted!"

Scarcely able to wheeze a reply, my eyes pleaded with his for the chance to speak. Roaring in frustration, Kenny dropped my weakening body to the ground, where I landed with a 'thud.' Barely able to graze my fingertips against my throat, I winced and coughed, gasping for air. Wearily, I lifted my eyes to meet Kenny's, while shuddering in pain.

"K-Kenny- cough- Viktor, he-cough cough- he didn't tell me a damn thing... About anything... I swear. I honestly don't understand what you're saying--"

My words were shattered into a shriek as I instinctively shielded myself with my arms, crouching down to evade another assault. But this time, the blows came from Caven. She grabbed me by my shirt collar and yanked my face up to meet her own. Her eyes swelled with greed, as they darted back and forth rapidly, drinking in my fear.  And before I knew it, she hurled a ruthless punch through my jaw.

Over and over and over again, her fists crashed against my flesh, delivering an all-out assault on me. I could feel my bruised bones breaking as the splattered blood beneath me began to accumulate into a pool. My screams dissolved into cries for mercy, imploring for an end to my torture.  I had reached my breaking point, forced into survival mode.

With utter frustration, Kenny slapped his hand down on Caven's shoulder, causing her to freeze mid-punch. He growled furiously to the floor, then hissed through his teeth, "That's enough for now, Caven... Shit..."

With a wave of his hand, he gestured for his squad to leave us. Without question, they all turned and walked away, mumbling incoherent conversations between each other as they went. When it was just the three of us again, Caven huffed impatiently and leaned against the wall behind her, still staring at me with disdain.

Gagging and coughing, I clutched my broken body and rolled to one side, only to find Kenny kneeling down in front of me, taking in the state of my wounds.

"Tell me something, Kimiyo. That is your name, right?"

In between heavy gasps, I shuddered a weak response, sputtering, "(Y/N)...my name is.. (Y/N)..."

"Tch, well then, (Y/N)... Tell me. Who is Levi to you?"

Hitching my breath, I glanced up at Kenny, thoroughly confused by his question.

"Wh-what?"

"Who is Levi to you!?" He repeated loudly, emphasizing each word slower than before.

"He- he's just m-my Captain, my Squad Leader..."

My voice trailed off in sorrow. Levi's face was now plastered in my mind, as I yearned to see him. My body trembled with sadness, aching terribly for his arms to hold me, to feel his warmth around me, his protection. My heart throbbed as I recalled the tambour of his voice, his deep, sincere voice. I would have given anything at that moment just to get lost in his steel-gray eyes once more; the eyes that turned a slight shade of blue in the moonlight...

But my daydream was cut short by the sensation of the tip of sharp steel lightly piercing my abdomen. Holding my breath, I looked back up at Kenny, who had gotten dangerously close to me.

"That's it? That's all he is...? Just your Captain?" He growled, allowing the blade to barely break my skin. "So, you're sayin' that if I drove this here knife straight through your gut, right now, that there's absolutely no chance in hell that I'd slice through a tiny little bundle of Ackerman blood?"

I gasped softly as my eyes grew large.  Gaping at Kenny, I watched as the anger in his eyes dissolved as he withdrew his blade.  He pushed up the brim of his hat with his thumb and clicked his tongue against his teeth. For a moment, I lay, still bleeding, on the cold floor, trying to wrap my head around what Kenny was alluding to. Did he really mean that I was...was...

"Well, little mouse, it seems like I know a lot more about you than you do about yourself..."