10. ** Intuition **

It wouldn't be long before we would reach Trost. We had come up with a plan the night before on how to track down who within the government was so against the Survey Corps, and who wanted to keep the knowledge of the titans a secret. Whoever it was, was surely behind Erwin's arrest and most likely after Eren and Historia.

Hange, Moblit and the rest of the Fourth Squad had met up with us in the woods to regroup with Nifa. However, Levi requested that they accompany us to Trost, as we needed all the help we could get to ensure that our plan would work. Hange declined, saying she and Moblit would be going after Erwin, but agreed to allow Nifa, Keiji and Abel to join us. We were incredibly grateful, since the members of the Fourth Squad were well trained, strong soldiers who had seen their share of bloodshed.

As we trekked closer to the outer gate of Trost, I decided to take a chance and reconnect with Levi. There had been too much tension silently eating away at us after talking with Eren, and I couldn't take much more. I inhaled deeply and approached him from behind with my shoulders back and head held high. His intuitive sense must have alerted him to my presence, because he turned his head to the side, catching me in his peripheral vision. I met his remorseful gaze as he sighed.

"How is your arm?"

I cradled my bruised wrist in my hand as he glanced over towards it.  Slowing his pace, he gently took my arm into his grasp, dropping his head sorrowfully.

"I am so sorry, (Y/N)... I should have never done that to you. I should be protecting you, not hurting you.  I have no excuse for my actions."

I softened my stance and relaxed a bit, as if to melt from his apology. Taking his hand into mine, I gave it a gentle squeeze.

"It's alright, Levi. I know you would never hurt me intentionally..."

I trailed off, trying to figure out how I could keep the peace and discuss Eren's vision with him, but Levi could sense my uneasiness. Stopping his forward movement, Levi turned to face our squad and raised his hand, ordering everyone to stop.

"We'll take a short break here to finish preparations.  Jean, Armin, I trust you know what is needed from you two.  We may not have the luxury of rest once we're inside Trost.  Don't go far. We'll regroup on my command."

With my hand still clasped in his, he guided me off to the side, a bit more secluded from everyone.  I was about to open my mouth and speak when Levi pulled me into a tight embrace, one filled with sorrow and fear.  I traced my fingers down his back and snuggled my cheek against his shoulder.  Without letting go, he began to speak deep and low, his voice dripping with guilt.

"I never wanted you to have to relive what that bastard did to you, so when Eren told me about his vision, I advised him to keep it between us.  I'm sorry if it wasn't my place to make that call.  I hate seeing you hurt, and thought it would be better if you didn't know."

I tried to pull back so I could look into his eyes when I replied, but he wouldn't loosen his grip around me. If anything, he held me even closer.

"(Y/N)... every time I think about what Viktor did to you, I lose control.  I see red. I become so full of anger that I can't see straight.  And when we were forced to leave our cabin in a hurry, my mind was still so engulfed by the memory of you being taken from me... that I lost my ability to tell my thoughts from reality... and I hurt you in the process.  I can't forgive myself for that and I don't expect you to either."

I could hear his voice beginning to quiver and understood why he was hiding from me.  With a sigh, I gently released my arms from him and forced him to look at me.  Taking his tear-stained cheek into my hand, I pressed my lips against his softly and slowly. He melted into me in his fragile state, so relieved that I would forgive him for so readily.  Lifting my other hand up to hold his face near mine, I smiled and said, "Levi, I love you... of course I forgive you.  We were both afraid in that moment... of a lot of things... and that's what I needed to talk to you about."

His eyes darted back and forth between mine, searching for answers within them.

"What?  What's wrong?" he asked.

"I don't know.  Eren was telling me something about his vision, about another man arguing with Viktor... and it sounded exactly like that nightmare I had a few nights ago... like it was the same moment in time that we were both seeing.  But I don't understand what the significance is... did he mention anything else to you?"

I was met with silence, as Levi averted eye contact and clenched his fists tightly.  "...Levi?"

"I'm sorry... I can't... we've got to get back to everyone.  Just- just stay with Mikasa when we're in town, alright?"

Again, his tenderness vanished just as quickly as it had appeared, and his eyes clouded over with hate.  Something told me that he knew more than he would admit.  Why he continued to hide it from me was a mystery, but I had to hope that his intentions were good.

"Alright.  I'll stay by Mikasa...but Levi," I muttered quietly, grabbing his hand before he could walk away, "Don't close yourself off to me, okay?  I still need you."

Turning back once more, he pulled me against him and planted a sweet kiss on my forehead.

"Let's get this over with first.  After that, I'll tell you whatever you want."

I smiled and nodded as I walked closely beside him, relieved to know that everything would be addressed openly and honestly between us, once we had completed the task set before us. 

-------------------------------

After making our way through the Trost Gate, I stayed close to Mikasa, as Levi had ordered.  I still needed to talk to Eren, but I knew I would have the chance later.  Once we entered the heart of the town, I realized that things were about to change and fast.  The citizens of Trost began to recognize our faces, especially Levi's.  Although we acted annoyed by the attention it drew, it was all part of the plan.  Eren and Historia had already disappeared long ago with the three members of the Fourth Squad.  Poor Armin and Jean were the decoys, although I commended them for their bravery.

Not even five minutes had passed when a wagon came barreling through the streets.  

They were here.

As if on que, I shoved a woman out of the way of the oncoming wagon and watched as Jean and Armin, disguised as Eren and Historia, were kidnapped before our eyes.  Turning toward Levi, he gave me a look filled with trust, before he leaped into action, disappearing from sight.  I watched as Sasha and Connie took off down another road, making sure to not look suspicious.  Mikasa nudged my arm and we took off in a sprint, knowing that Armin and Jean were depending on us. They would only have so much time before their disguises were found out. 

I just had to get through this operation... then I could talk with Eren and Levi, and hopefully understand what the hell was going on.