18. ** Water **

I knew Kenny was fading when he didn't respond to my little remark alluding to his cowardice. He just kept his eyes to the ground and focused on putting one foot in front of the other. Finally, I gave up on Kenny's lack of ability to move fast enough and slowly lowered him down against a tree. With a pained sigh and a wince, he leaned his head back to meet the rough bark protruding from the trunk. At this point, comfort was a luxury.

It was rather difficult to see where we were, with only the dim light of the moon to guide us. I had remembered hearing the sound of rushing water when I had been brought to the forest, so I knew a creek or a river had to be close. Kenny's wounds needed to be cleaned badly, and I was extremely thirsty, but I just had to focus on one thing at a time.

"Let's just take a break for a bit, alright? You're too damn heavy for me to keep dragging you around. Besides, you're losing too much blood and I'm exhausted," I grumbled.

Barely looking up at me from where he sat hunched over, Kenny mumbled in agreement, before wheezing through a nasty cough. I watched him suffer through it but didn't feel a bit sympathetic, after everything he had done. If he were to die leaning against that damn tree, I really wouldn't give a shit. I was just keeping my word that I wouldn't leave him, fully aware that I would have been crushed to death inside that cavern, had he not cut me loose. Clearing my throat, I spoke once more.

"Look, I have got to get some rest before I pass out. After I get a bit of sleep, I'll head for the river nearby and get some water for us. So... just... Stay there until I get back."

Fully expecting him to laugh hysterically or accuse me of leaving him to die, I was surprised to find him just nodding slowly, mumbling, "I'll be here..."

I held my gaze on the pitiful old fool, drenched in blood and misery, before turning to leave him in solitude. He couldn't be sure if I would return or not, and I couldn't be sure if I would return to find him still breathing. So I swiped both of our canteens from the ground and trudged off to find a place to sleep nearby.

Although I was indeed exhausted, I had only slept for a few hours before I was woken by the sliver of light peering over the horizon. I reluctantly pushed myself to my feet and began my hunt for water. As I walked alone through the forest, weaving in and out of the trees, I was reminded of a similar moment in my life, when Levi and I had traveled under the cover of night to get back home. Even though our situation had been dire, and we were both in terrible shape at the time, I still reminisced fondly on those memories. And just like my current trek, we had found a stream to fill our canteens and wash our wounds.

With a light chuckle, I thought back to how embarrassed I was when I had turned to find him removing his shirt to wash the blood and dirt from himself. He wasn't much better though, refusing to face me as I undressed down to only bandages and undergarments. We were both a blushing, mumbling mess, stumbling over our words, as we failed miserably at keeping our cool. I had fought so hard to bury my awkward attraction to him, but looking back, I'm incredibly glad I lost that battle.

I glanced down as I lightly rested my hand on my abdomen, allowing a gentle smile to trace my lips. Obviously, from the outside, there was no evidence of my pregnancy whatsoever. However, with a sigh of surrender, I ultimately acknowledged the fruit of Levi and I's love, who was now growing and thriving within me.

"You're gonna be trouble, you know that? If you're even half as stubborn as me, you're going to drive your father insane..."

Dropping my hand, my smile faded at the thought of telling Levi that he would be a Father, as Kenny's words clouded my mind. I shook my head and sneered, as I muttered lowly to myself, "Just get to the damn river, get the water, and go."

--------------------

The sun was high in the sky by the time I returned to Kenny, still barely holding on to his worthless life. I had drunk more than my fill at the river, so I allowed Kenny to have all the water he wanted. As he gulped away, I did my best to start cleaning him up. He grumbled and complained at my every attempt to wash off the blood that had dried and caked onto his skin. I just ignored him and continued with my task until he snatched the wet cloth from my hands and pushed me away.

"Don't waste your time, brat! See if you can't find us something to eat instead! I'm starving!"

"Ugh! Feed yourself, you ungrateful asshole!" I shouted angrily.

Brushing the dirt from my clothes, I stormed off furiously. He couldn't even bring himself to thank me for the water and didn't show a hint of gratitude for my attempts to treat his wounds. Now he was demanding food? It was like he wanted me to leave!
I was absolutely fed up with him and decided to just go back to the river instead. This time, I would stay and bathe. Even though most of my lacerations were just mere scratches now, I was still covered in blood and filth. So, I followed the path I had just hiked, thankful for the sunlight this time around.

It wasn't long before I reached the rushing river again; the water shimmering and dancing in the sun. I guess the thought of ridding myself of my disgusting, shredded clothes made the journey seem shorter, as I anticipated the refreshing sensation of water on my skin. Dipping my toes in carefully, I shivered at how cold the swirling stream was, even in the heat of the day. The temperature, however, was far less important than cleansing my body of filth and trauma.

Holding my breath, I forced myself to become fully submerged as I vigorously began scrubbing everything away. I had immersed my entire being within the icy cold water, shedding the dust, grime, blood, and sweat from my body. Eventually, I even shed my soul, as I screamed into the element that silenced my cry to the world above.

I was exhausted, scared, hurt, worried and alone. I had put up such a hard facade in front of Kenny, but I could no longer keep pretending that I was okay. My body was reeling from abuse and lack of sleep. It was also utterly impossible to ignore my empty stomach's ferocious growls. My mind was racing as I tried to fathom how I would ever survive while carrying a child, let alone birthing it. I wasn't even capable of thinking about I would go about raising it...

Reluctantly, I shot out of the water and back into the warm sunlight, gasping for air. My tears were camouflaged as they dripped down my cheeks and showed no sign of stopping. I was a strong woman, but I couldn't always be, for I was human. A human who had only recently begun to heal, and I had to admit that to myself out loud, as I dropped to my knees along the shoreline. There in the sandy, wet grass, completely vulnerable to the elements, I wept for the familiar warmth of my lover's embrace, calling out his name in little less than a whisper.

I rolled onto my side and curled into a ball, reduced to a shivering, trembling naked mess. Yet, the rushing water must have masked the sound of footsteps as they approached, for I didn't expect to be so suddenly, tightly, warmly embraced within the Wings of Freedom.