Chapter 5: Meeting Danes

A/N: Odin's beard, I've been suffering from the worst case of allergies I've had in my life!! They woke me up at 1am this morning and I just couldn't go back to sleep. As much as I want to lie in bed and just sleep, I want to write at least three chapters today, so stay tuned for multiple updates. Other than that? Sit back and enjoy.

(Astrid's pov)

Waking up after the three day celebration of Hiccup's cowardly suicide, Sihtric and I spent all that time together making love where ever nobody could see us. Currently, we were returning to the village after a quick session of sex, while still strapping our clothing on, Sihtric turned his head around and spoke his thoughts. "We were supposed to make it quick." I snorted at my lovers words and shot back. "It was. Too quick." I then slapped his strong and firm backside and he quickly turned around and acted like he was about to wrestle me, but I giggled and got in a defensive stance.

We both just ended up laughing and Sihtric wrapped a lean arm around my shoulder and I hummed happily as I leaned into his body while we walked together. "Besides, nobody will know that we were gone. The three day celebration no doubt has everyone drunk out of their minds." I stated, Sihtric hummed in agreement and looked down at me. "Who knew Useless Hiccup was so hated that we celebrated for three days." I hummed in agreement and spoke my thoughts on the matter. "Our now... dead and former heir didn't have what it took to be Viking. Being a Viking is more than being a warrior, its about being strong, brave and determined to make impossible choices. Hiccup didn't have what it took to be a Viking."

"Well we're now rid of him." Sihtric chuckled out, he wiped a bead of sweat off his brow as he looked back down at me and grinned. "Besides, Stoick will have to choose a new heir to succeed him. And I'd wager he'd choose you." I scoffed at my lovers words and cocked my head at him. "Why me?" I asked, he scoffed at my question and responded. "Do you even have to ask? You, Fearless Astrid Hofferson slew the Unholy Offspring of Lightning and Death Itself!! Stoick would be a fool not to take you under his wings and groom you to become heir of Berk."

Yes, while the thought of being Hiccup's successor had been plaguing my mind for the last three days, I secretly dreaded the very prospect of being heir of Berk. For one, there's Snotlout and the Jorgenson clan who already have a strong claim to the throne and second, I always viewed myself as someone to serve those who wielded power, not the one to wield power itself.

"Snotlout is not worthy of being our new heir, while he is a great warrior, he's stupid, arrogant and too lazy. " Sihtric's words snapped me out of my thoughts and I turned my attention back to him. "If Snotlout were chosen to become heir? It would no doubt spark tensions between your family and the Jorgensons." Sihtric's words made me hum in agreement, Hoffersons and Jorgensons never got along, but we'd set aside our differences for the good of the tribe in dire circumstances.

Upon exiting the forest, we could see handfuls of our people who weren't drunk and began the days work, deciding to grab some food, Sihtric and I made our way to the Great Hall. When we opened the doors, I could see Stoick and the Hooligan council around the great table, along with the tribes best warriors and their offspring. Stoick looked up to see me and Sihtric enter and he nodded at us. "Ah! Astrid and Sihtric. Join us, we're discussing we go to Helheim's Gate and try forcing the devils out of our lands once in for all before winter arrives."

Submitting to the chief's orders, I stand by my parents and Sihtric goes to his parents and Stoick spoke out to everyone gathered at the great table. "Thankfully summer is around the corner, but I suggest we take the dragons nest now! Before winter arrives." Many around us nodded in agreement while others lowered their heads and shook their heads.

"Stoick, we've lost too many good people and a sizable amount of ships looking for the dragons nest!" One of the veteran Vikings in our tribe spoke up, he then continued by gesturing to those who lost loved ones searching for the cause of the dragon raids. "I know handfuls of folk here who lost many loved ones searching blindly for the dragons nest! I myself lost my wife the last time you went in search of it!" Slamming his fist down on the table, the veteran Viking boomed out. "I will not partake in this... useless attempt."