Chapter 8: Scouting the prize

A/N: So yesterday was my brothers 18th birthday and I spent the time celebrating with him and my family. Moving on to the story, Hiccup is going to see and scout out Paris before he and the other Danes lay siege to it. The Siege of Paris is gonna be epic, that's all I could say and that will be coming very soon, but other than that? Enjoy the chapter.

(Stoick's pov)

Three months have passed since the gods finally took pity on us and ended our dragon nightmare, and the cowardly suicide of the traitor who I once called son. With all these annoyances set aside? It was now time to focus on the future of Berk. I had already announced to the tribe that Astrid Hofferson was my chosen heir and everyone agreed with my decision, of course my brother Spitelout and his family had to swallow down their pride and accept the fact that Astrid Hofferson has eclipsed us by slaying the Unholy Offspring of Lightning and Death Itself, and that there was no one better to name heir then her.

And Berk would need a strong heir, something Useless Hiccup never was, but Astrid Hofferson is. I know for a fact that Egil and his wife Freya Hofferson are proud of their daughter, I would be too if I was Astrid's father.

Currently, I had called in a meeting with the whole tribe in the Great Hall, and we were discussing on where we were going to be raiding. So, with everyone gathered, I addressed my people and boomed out. "Friends! With summer upon us, it's time to discuss where we are going to be raiding." Many of my people hummed in agreement and I spoke where I wanted to raid. "With many of our fellow countrymen already raiding the Christian kingdom of England, perhaps we should look towards the Franks." My words caused an uproar of disagreement and many of my people began to speak up.

"Our people have tried many times to raid the Franks, and yet every time we fail!"

"They have eclipsed us with their machines of war and have dispatched thousands of our people to Valhalla."

"Who knows how well equipped the Franks are to deal with us now, should we provoke them again! Perhaps you should choose another place for us Stoick!"

The people then roared and barked in agreement that I should choose another place to raid, pinching the bridge of my nose, I heard Mildew strike his staff against the ground and he barked out. "Silence! And allow the chief to dwell on where we should raid!!" Turning to Mildew, the old mans hair was messy, he wore the attire of a Hooligan council member and he held his pet sheep Fungus around one of its arms as if it were a child.

Sighing heavily, and let out a suggestion. "Perhaps we could raid the Kievan Empire." My words caused the people to whisper and murmur amongst themselves, I could see my people were heavy with thought and I decided to speak up. "My friends, I understand your concerns about sailing to uncharted places and lands..." Rising from my throne I extend my arms out. "...but we're Vikings! We all choose to live a dangerous lifestyle. And part of that lifestyle is to explore the unknown and load our ships were treasures and make ourselves famous!"

My words seemed to have the effect I wanted and my people's moral seemed to have reached a new high. So, turning to Astrid Hofferson, who was now my heir, I extended my hand out to her and used her as an example. "Astrid Hofferson has already killed the last known Night Fury! Her triumph over the devil is spreading far and wide in our nation and if you're going to be eclipsed by a girl? Than I pity you." I then bark out. "Have you got the balls to join me in raiding?" A roar of confirmation filled the air and I bark out again. "Are you willing to lay down your lives for your brothers and sisters in the shield wall and spend eternity feasting with the Allfather Himself?" A louder roar of confirmation filled the air and I was satisfied with my people's demeanor, so I then give final orders. "Good! Now, prepare the ships and those of you who wish to raid with me! We leave at the soonest opportunity!"