Chapter 17: Returning the bitter favor

(Snotlout's pov)

Preparations for the battle against Hiccup was going quite smoothly to say the least, it had been six days since Hiccup revealed himself to us and that was more than enough time to marshal our combined forces together, though we weren't blind, we were still heavily outnumbered. Which is why it was critical to decide where we were going to fight, sooner rather than later.

I had helped a group of our warriors loading weapons on board our ships, the harbor was filled with our allies ships, we've been working all morning and despite the snowfall and low temperatures? We Vikings pushed through the pain of aching bones and chilled skin and continued preparing our ships to set sail.

"Snotlout!"

Turning around, I laid eyes on my father approaching from the harbor, I got off the ship I was working on and approached the man. "Father? What is it?" I asked, he wrapped an arm around my shoulder and gestured to our own fleet and our allies ships. "It makes me proud to see you out here working with your people son. But this... isn't enough to repeal Hiccup's forces in open battle." Spitelout then leaned in and whispered in my ear. "I want you and Tuffnut Thorston to take Hiccup out."

I pulled away from my father with my eyes widened and looked around us to make sure none of our tribesman or allies were listening, when I was satisfied with what I saw, I turned back to my father and whispered yelled. "How?! I don't know where he is!" Spitelout placed both his hands on my shoulders and gently squeezed them. "Go to the Northern Market and ask anyone if they've laid eyes on Danes and Hiccup. If you find your cousin? Kill him. Without him, we may just stand a chance against the Danes."

Seeing no other way than to obey my fathers command, I bowed my head. "Yes father. I'll see it done." I then set off to find Tuffnut throughout the crowds of Vikings coming down to the docks either to load up supplies or return to their respective tribes. Finally I laid eyes on Tuffnut inspecting his spear and then twirled it in his hand expertly.

"Tuffnut!" I called out, the male twin turned to me and approached me. "Whats up Snotface?" He asked, I then pulled him close and whispered. "My father wants us to go to the Northern Markets and ask anyone there if they've laid eyes on Danes or Hiccup. Should we find Useless? We are to kill him." Tuffnut looked at me with shock, but then his demeanor changed into excitement. "Alright. When do we leave?"

"Now. Pack what you need and lets get going." I say, Tuffnut nods and runs off to his home to pack what he needs, I sigh heavily wrapped the thick black fur cloak around my shoulders tighter and looked out towards the horizon. Hiccup is out there somewhere, and without his leadership? We just may stand a chance against the Danes, if the gods will it.

Running a hand through my sleeked black hair, I then head to my house to gather what I needed as well, the sooner we got this task done? The better for all of us and I'll finally be rid of Hiccup the Useless.

(Astrid's pov)

I had been helping a group of shield maidens load up Stoick's flagship, the last five years have been... hard for Stoick to say the least. When the man and his raiding party went to the steppes of Russ? Only one ship returned and only handfuls of our warriors were on board Stoick's ship, they didn't return with treasure or wealth, they only returned half dead and with their lives.

After that disastrous raid? We joined with some of our allies and raided in England, though that raid gave us some portion of wealth, it was better than nothing. The whole of England has been fighting off Viking tribes for quite some time now and we fortunate enough to walk away with at least one ship full of treasure.

But now? Our combined forces were focussed on loading our ships with the supplies we need to wage battle against Hiccup and his forces. The news I heard about Hiccup, how he became a battle hardened warrior? I dared not believe them at first. Hiccup was far too clumsy, weak in body and strength to be a warrior. But it seems thats not the case anymore, he looks stronger than ever before and he's hungry for battle.