4. Achy But Happy

My head is thumping and I can barely move. Every limb is stiff and my joints have seized up, making it difficult to stand.

Zach is also not helping.

I shuffle sideways in an attempt to get off the brown soft squeaky couch we're laying on. Zach groans next to me and his arm, which is slung around my waist, tightens.

'Don't go,' Zach mumbles.

'Unless you want me to pee on you, I need to go outside.'

'If I get to keep you here, I don't mind.' Zach kisses my neck.

I laugh, allowing myself to sink back into him briefly. 'I do mind. I don't need to add to my already disgusting odour.'

'You smell gorgeous.' Zach's fingers move under my top to stroke the skin along my stomach then dip lower running along the waistband of my trousers.

'Liar.' I turn and brush my lips against his. 'I really need to go.'

'I'll come with you and watch.'

'I'm only going to tell you this once Zach, I'm not into that. There is going to be no pee involved in our relationship.'

Zach laughs loudly. 'Ok, that wasn't what I was thinking but good to know.' He continues to hold me and his face turns serious. 'I meant, I'd watch for danger.'

'There is nothing but tumbleweeds out there and as far as I know, they are not life-threatening.'

'You never know.' Zach frowns.

I shake my head in amusement. 'I'll be fine. Give me one minute.'

'I'll be waiting. Ready to do some other stuff.' Zach wiggles his eyebrows.

'I thought you didn't want to call it other stuff?'

'You cringe when I use the actual terms.'

'That's because they sound gross.'

Zach chuckles. 'Well, I don't want my girlfriend to think it's gross, so now I'm stuck calling it other stuff. This is your fault, Kit. You're making me less crude.'

'That's all on you. I've always liked your crudeness.' I grin whilst gently easing myself out of his grasp.

'I knew it. The innocent act is just that, an act. I bet inside that head of yours you're cruder than me. Before I know it you're going to out crude me. Don't do it to me, Kit. It's one of my most attractive characteristics.'

'You're an idiot sometimes.' I say, grinning widely as I walk away.

'As long as I'm your idiot, I don't care.'

'You're definitely mine,' I call over my shoulder.

Outside, the sky is dark grey so I can't make out how high the sun is. I'd guess it's midday. A cracked road stretches out in front of me. Now it's daylight, I can see a mass of buildings in the distance, possibly a town or city. At least we don't have to rush off, it shouldn't take long to get there. I sigh in relief. We've run out of food and I want to sleep in an actual bed tonight.

I should be glad we found the brown soft squeaky couch last night. Tucked into a little room at the back of this building, it's barely big enough for me let alone the two of us. I shouldn't complain, it's better than the rusty car we slept in the night before.

We've been riding almost constantly for the last two days, unable to escape the barren nothingness which seemed to stretch for eternity. Yesterday, we started cycling at sunrise and by the time night started to fall, we still hadn't found anywhere to sleep.