14. Trapped On The Outside

Panting heavily, I reach the edge of the town and spot the buildings we need to get too in the distance.

'Stop... waiting for us.' Bo groans.

'What?' I say, braking suddenly.

'Over there ....  trucks.' Bo slides Haiden off him and staggers out the trailer while pointing. In the distance, I see large vehicles in front of the entrance of the fence.

Bo sways as he walks towards me, and I grab his arm to steady him. 

'I've lost... the radio. We're going to have... to wait till... it's dark. We can't... use the trailer or bike....they'll hear us,' he slurs. Wobbling slightly, Bo inhales deeply and shakes his head before strengthening himself up. 'I'll be fine. We need to check on Haiden.' 

I kneel down to look at Haiden, the blood now spread across the front of her top. 'Let's take her inside a house while we wait. It's not safe out here in the open.' I place my hand on Haiden's face. 'Haiden. Talk to me, Haiden. Can you stand?'

That was a stupid question. Of course, she can't stand.

'...hurt.' Haiden groans and her eyelids flutter.

At least she's semi-conscious. I wrap my arm around Haiden's waist and pull her out the trailer causing her to moan loudly. Bo wraps one of her arms around his shoulder but he stumbles under her weight. He's not fine, neither of them are. How are we going to get back to their community without using the trailer?

We start to walk or we try. In reality, me and Bo shuffle while Haiden hangs limply in our arms, her legs dragging along the ground. Each of us resorts to grabbing a leg and we carry her towards a house.

I'm doing most of the work.

We place Haiden on the ground and I try to open the door. It's locked. Inhaling deeply, I hold back the hopelessness and fear threatening to take over. I've done this many times. Walking over to the window I inspect it, luckily it's single glazing which makes it easier to break. Grabbing a rock from the ground, I smash the window, clear the glass then climb in and open the front door.

I grab Haiden under her arms, and Bo grabs her legs. We carry her into the house and place her on the sofa in the living room. Bo drops to the floor next to her; looking exhausted, he takes Haidens hand and whispers something which I can't hear.

I leave them to search the house alone.

The stench of sweet overpowering rot comes from the bedrooms warning me to avoid entering those rooms. Closing one of the bedroom doors, I glimpse a wall covered in a variety of animals which no longer exist; the images make my insides ache with sadness.

In the bathroom, I search the cupboards but the only useful item I find is a couple of small towels. Downstairs, I continue to search cupboards until I, finally, find a medical box tucked in the corner of a cupboard under a sink. 

'Don't go into the bedrooms upstairs,' I say, walking into the living room and kneeling next to Haiden.

Bo arches an eyebrow but doesn't respond. I drop the towel, open the medical box and retrieve a bottle of antiseptic. I soak the towel, lift Haiden's top and look at the wound, which is still bleeding. I'm not sure whether it's no longer bleeding profusely is a good or bad sign. Haiden shrieks as I gently press the towel against the hole in the side of her chest.

'What are you doing?' Bo asks, grabbing Haiden's hand.

'Antiseptic should prevent it from getting infected and pressing it will hopefully reduce the bleeding. Help me sit her up.'