35. Intentions Revealed

The sun sets bathing me and Olivia in a soft glow as we continue to sit in silence on the trunk.  I'm getting cold and hungry but most of all I'm worried.

Where is Zach? Is he ok?

Klein walks towards us. 'Apologies for taking so long. Olivia you deserve a break. I'll continue the tour with Kit.'

Olivia looks at me. 'She's trouble Klein.'

'She's lost. With help from people like you she'll find her way. If you're free tomorrow morning maybe you could spend some time with her?' Klein says. 'You could also introduce her to some people her age.'

'I will, but if she continues with her accusations she can't stay,' Olivia frowns.

'I know, but let's see what tomorrow brings. Maybe, she'll have a change of heart,' Klein smiles.

Olivia nods and walks off.

Klein takes my arm and pulls me onto the path leading into the village. He doesn't let go when I try to pull my arm away.

'Are Raz and Zach ok?'

Klein nods. 'Of course.'

'What's going to happen to them?'

'Raz has decided it would be best for him to remain here. Zach, however, will not be joining us.'

I stare ahead. 'Why?'

'He decided to go back to where he belongs.'

'Which is?'

'You don't need me to tell you, I'm sure you already know.'

You're trying to trick me, you manipulating creep.

'I'm afraid there's not much else to show you. Our life is gentle but enjoyable.'

'You're not going to convince me to stay by making out this place is perfect.'

'You're so suspicious.' Klein chuckles while steering me towards his house.

'No, I'm a realist. Nothing is this perfect.'

'I don't claim we're perfect. Eutopia doesn't exist; it never will because we're human and therefore we have flaws. Our shit smells like everyone else's. We have disagreements like all humans living together but we always work it out in the end.'  Klein looks over to Albert who is striding towards us.

'Don't be too long,' Albert grins.

'I won't. Ensure we're not disturbed by anyone, except for Powell when he brings him over,' Klein says, glancing over his shoulder as his grip tightens around my arm.

'Of course. If you need any assistance just let me know, I'd be happy to help.' Albert's grin widens.

'I'm sure you would,' Klein laughs as he ushers me into the house.

Klein closes the door behind him then walks around the room closing the curtains, blocking off my view to the quickly darkening sky. A creek above my head makes me look up at the stairs. There's nothing there.

This house gives me the creeps. Klein gives me the creeps.

Wrapping my arms around myself, I stand in the middle of the room. Klein walks over to me, presses his hand against the bottom of my back and guides me towards the sofa.

'I thought we would stay in this evening and relax,' Klein says softly.

My stomach curdles at the thought of being alone with Klein for the evening. 'I thought there was a dance we were going to?'