26. Breaking Out

Creeping into the dark library, I flick on my torch to find Roman sitting on the sofa looking through my bag. He looks up and his eyes narrow, focusing on the gun in my hand.

'I see you're pretty prepared. The only problem is you have no idea where you're going.' Roman smirks.

No ones smirk can compare to Zachs.

'Ethel gave me the instructions you made for her. If I work backwards, it should get me there.' I walk over to him and hold out my hand, gesturing at the bag.

Roman hooks the bag straps on my fingers. 'It will take you at least four days to get there by bike. A lot longer if you walk.'

I drop the gun and bullets into the bag and zip it up. Slinging it on my back, I look down at Roman. 'I better get started then.'

Roman clenches his jaw. 'There's a possibility he's dead already or that they don't even have him or they may have infected him with Virulence before you get there.'

'There's also a possibility he's not dead and they do have him and he hasn't been infected.' I snap.

'I'll take you.' Roman stands

'It's fine, I don't need the company.' I say exiting the room.

'I can get us there faster than that map.' Roman strides towards me.

'How?' I stop in the hallway and turn to face Roman, unconvinced he wants to help me. Why would he risk his life to help me?

'A more direct route.' Roman steps forward. 'When I wrote those instructions, I had to pick a route that was easy to follow. There's a quicker route, one Klein won't use so we may arrive at a similar time.'

'Why won't he use it?' I arch an eyebrow.

'Because it goes past a nuclear power station.'

'So?'

'So none of us know what happens to a functioning nuclear power station when it's abandoned. It could be pumping out radioactive substances so Klein won't pass within fifty miles because he's worried about being exposed to radiation which could cause infertility.'

'And cancer,' I add.

'He's more worried about being infertile. He has a very fragile male ego.' Roman walks back into the library and I follow. Watching him pick up an unfamiliar bag off the floor and swinging it onto his back, I narrow my eyes.

'What's that?' I ask.

'Food, water and weapons.' Roman places the bag on his back. 'I was aware you were going to leave tonight so I prepared myself to accompany you.'

'And if I said no?' I ask.

'I can't stop you from leaving just like you can't stop me from coming.' Roman brushes past me and exits the library into the hallway.

I shake my head and jog after him. My stomach churns as we approach the front door, Roman pulls it open and Tunde halts the objections about to come out of his mouth when he sees Roman. It's dark outside and it takes several seconds for my eyes to adjust to the lack of light, even then I can barely see.

'Hey,' Cas calls out from behind us. 'I'm coming too.'

'Cas, you're meant to be on patrol.' Roman continues walking towards the spot where the bicycles are piled up.

'I swapped my night patrol with Tunde. He lost another game of poker,' Cas jogs towards us.

'You need to stop betting your chores.'

'Why? It's fun, and I hate night patrol. Anyway, me coming increases your chances of survival.'

'And how do you work that out?' Roman says flatly.

'Because it's an extra pair of eyes to look out, an extra body to fight and an extra brain to think.' Cas says, stopping in front of us.

'It's also an extra person to worry about.' Roman grabs a bicycle and mounts it.

'Come on, Roman. You know I can't stand being cramped up in this place. Let me come,' Cas whines.

Roman exhales roughly. 'If you come, you follow my instructions at all times. Understand?' 

'You're the boss, Boss!' Cas jumps on a bicycle.

'There are loads of potholes and cracks so ride slowly. We'll ride for a few hours tonight, find somewhere to sleep and start again as soon as the sun comes up.'

I spot Zach's bicycle. Why would he leave without a bicycle? How was he planning on getting to the cabin? We travelled for two days without seeing a building until we finally found that Diner. I grab Zach's bicycle which is too big for me and get on. I'm a glutton for punishment. 

Riding slowly, I can barely make out the outline of Roman and Cas in front of me. I listen carefully for the sound of their bicycles against the ground, the scratching and flicking of small stones which sound too loud in the emptiness.

My stomach starts to churn. Why I'm doing this? Why am I putting us all at risk?

My heart is telling me I have to. Alma said I should listen to my heart.

We reach the fence and an adult, who I can only make the outline of in the darkness, opens the gate; we cycle through without saying a word.

My heartbeat pounds in my ears. I clench my trembling hands tightly around the handlebars. I feel like I should hope for something yet there's so much that could go wrong; I'm not exactly sure what I should hope for.

Author's note

Short one. What do you think is going to happen?

I hope you're still enjoying it xx