33. Blind To The Truth

A knock on the door makes me stand up from the sofa. I rub my sore eyes. I've barely slept. I was hoping once the sun appeared I'd see a way out.

I'm an idiot for being so positive.

The sun gives us light, it doesn't make escape routes magically appear.

'Hello.' A girl pops her head around the door and smiles at me. 'I'm Lily. Klein said I could come see you. If you're up for visitors?'

I glance at Albert who stands by the door. What would he do if I started to tell her everything? I nod at Lily.

She smiles widely and heads into the room holding a toddler in her arms.

'This is Ollie.' She gestures to the toddler in her arms and puts him down. He starts to wander around and bash the wooden train in his hand against anything he comes across.

I look at Ollie. 'Is he yours?'

'Yes. He's nearly two.'

I look at her, trying to figure out her age. 'Do you have others?'

She chuckles. 'One is enough for the moment. I'm only nineteen.'

Ollie drops his toy and grabs Zach's open sketchbook on the low table in front of the sofa. Lily runs forward and grabs it before he manages to rip a page out.

I hate this child.

Lily hands the sketchbook to me. 'Sorry. He's at the destroy everything stage.'

'Don't worry.' I sit on the sofa and tuck the sketchbook behind a pillow.

Lily picks up the wooden train, hands it back to Ollie then sits on the floor opposite me. 'Klein said you came from another settlement but you had to leave.'

'Did he also tell you one of his people shot the person I came here with and killed them.' I choke out, trying to suppress the tears as I'm reminded of Roman.

Lily nods sadly. 'Klein told the village what happened this morning. It's such a tragic misunderstanding.' She pulls Ollie onto her lap. 'It's horrible that we have to use guns. Klein would prefer if there were no weapons, we all would, but we have to be careful. We have a lot of young children here, resistant children. Did you know there are people out there trying to steal children resistant to Virulence? It's disgusting, some people have no morals.'

Is she being serious?

'Yes, some people have no morals,' I say sarcastically.

I can't believe Klein has already started to spread a story to explain why I'm here and what happened. He's probably telling everyone he's keeping Zach and Raz held under armed guard for their own safety.

I hate to admit it but Klein is clever.

'It must be scary having to start in an unfamiliar place but you should give this place a chance. I know Klein said you were staying with some people who were members of this community before you came here; don't allow their views to stop you from taking the leap and doing what's best for you,' Lily says.

I arch an eyebrow. What other twisted half-truths has Klein been telling?

'I'm sure you know there were some false accusations made against Klein a long time ago but I promise you that's exactly what they were- false. I've lived here for over fifteen years with my mum and Klein has been nothing but kind and gentle. He's never acted sexually inappropriate towards me or my mum. I trust Klein entirely.'

'And that means he's innocent? Because he didn't attempt to do anything to you?' I ask.

Lily straightens. 'No...'

'That's what you're implying though. He hasn't done anything sexually inappropriate with me either but that doesn't mean he isn't guilty.'

Lily frowns and stutters, 'I've known him for a lot longer...'

'And I'm sure if he thought he could get away with raping you he would have, Lily. Try not to take it as an insult that he hasn't attempted anything,' I say flatly.

Lily gasps, grabs Ollie and storms out of the room.

I slump back onto the sofa and look at Albert who pulls out a gun tucked in the back of his waistband. My breath catches in my throat and Albert smirks before he walks outside, slamming the door behind him.

Sighing, I keep my eyes closed a little longer; not wanting to wake as I enjoy the warmth of soft material surrounding. Inhaling sharply, I bolt up, eyes wide as I come to my senses and remember where I am.

Klein sits on the other sofa looking past me and out the large glass windows. His gaze focuses on me and he gives me a slow smile which looks almost sad.

He clears his throat and gestures at the table which contains a glass of water and a bowl of food. 'The food is probably cold now, but you looked so peaceful I didn't want to wake you.'

I look behind me and out the window, it's still light. What time is it? Has Cas left? I turn to the food and my stomach betrays me by rumbling.

Klein leans forward and rests his elbows on his knees. 'Your stomach is keen so why don't you allow it some food. Refusing to eat doesn't hurt me, it only hurts yourself.'

I take the bowl. He's right and I'll need the energy when I make my escape. I can't help feeling like this is a repeat of my time at the Techie settlement.

'Lily was very upset after the conversation you had,' Klein says.

I'm sure the people you abused were more upset. I continue to eat.

'I had asked her to visit you as I thought you'd like the company.'

'I'd like to leave.'

'One week, Kit, that's all I'm asking. One week to make a decision which is your decision. If you give us a chance, I'm sure you will want to stay,' Klein says.

'No, I won't,' I respond.

'You're still tired and irritable.' Klein stands. 'We'll talk once you're calmer. I'll be back in a bit.'

Klein leaves before I can say anything and my shoulders sag. I stare at the bowl of food and continue to eat.

How exactly is Klein planning on making me want to stay?