17. Reality Hits

'Kit!' The sound of my name shouted in urgency by Bo's along with the loud bashing, has me and Zach scrabbling for our clothes. Zach grabs a top, pulls it over my head then grabs both our trousers from the floor. 

The door swings open; Bo walks in with a torch pointed at us and a gun in his hand. He halts in the doorway, his narrowed eyes drifting over the two of us: me yanking my trousers up and a topless Zach buttoning his trousers.

Bo's eyes dart between us and he steps forward. 'What have you done to her?'

I frown and look at Zach who looks as confused as me.

'What are you talking about?' Zach asks.

'She was nearly abducted, she's obviously been crying and those people are out there killing us, and all you've got on your mind is how you can get some action. You're sick.' Bo steps closer to Zach and shoves him in the chest. 'I can't stand people like you.'

'What do you mean people like me?' Zach straightens up and pushes Bo away from him.

'She's been through enough without you continuing to take advantage of her when she's vulnerable ' Bo slams his fists into Zach's chest again, causing him to stumble backwards.

I watch the gun in Bo's hand. This is not going to end well. I jump in the middle of them, pushing Bo back gently. 'Bo, calm down. I don't know what you think is going on-.'

'You may think he cares about you but it's an act. He's lying to you, Kit,' Bo snaps at me.

'What the hell is going on?' Ethel snaps in the doorway. Doll and Roman standing beside her peering at us with raised eyebrows.

My face heats as they take us in. Zach with no top on, my trousers unbuttoned and Bo's face contorted with rage.

'All three of you, in the office now,' Ethel barks loudly. 

Standing in the office, me, Bo and Zach shuffle awkwardly while Ethel, Doll and Roman look at us wearily. There's a tense atmosphere, and I'm waiting for the telling off, to be told what I've done wrong, again. Since arriving here, I'm always on edge, waiting to mess up while constantly panicking about people touching me. I'm exhausted.

'Now, more than ever, we need to be vigilant. The new rule is we do not leave the building without an armed companion. Even, if it is to go to the toilet or shower block, ' Ethel says

'I didn't get a chance to tell them.' Bo's voice cracks but his expression is unreadable. Why is he so upset?

Ethel drags a hand down her face. 'Faith's been killed by Klein and his people.'

I inhale sharply, a million questions humming on the tip of my tongue. The most prominent one being, are you sure? Of course, they are.

I shake my head. 'This is my fault.'

'No, it's not. We've had several confrontations over the years with them which have only worsened since Faith and Raz arrived. Klein wanting you is just another excuse for them to attack us,' Ethel says. 'Kit, my priority is keeping you and the rest of the residents safe. I want to help you.'

She can't help, not in the way I really need. They can't return me to my family whilst also enabling me to stay with Zach. They can't turn back time so I could be more careful and not get caught crossing the wall with Zach. They can't stop Zach from being rejected by his mother. 'You can't.'

Ethel steps closer, her hands reach out for my shoulder and I don't understand why everyone is so desperate to touch me, to help me. Not when I don't want them to and not when they can't. I step back.