9. Unexpected Wake Up

Sinking into the warmth surrounding me, I suddenly stiffen as I realise where I am. I'm sharing a bed with Haiden. Except, I don't remember getting into bed with her let alone, her cuddling me. And why is her hand caressing my stomach?

'Morning, gorgeous.' Zach's breath tickles the back of my neck. I relax immediately.

Turning to face him, I kiss him. His mouth opens and our tongues meet. My fingers caress his arms, moving up towards his neck, into his hair.

'It's too early for that so, please, keep it PG-rated,' a voice says.

I peer over Zach's shoulder to find Nate half-naked as he's getting changed. Squeezing my eyes shut, I sink back in embarrassment and Zach laughs.

'What am I doing in here?' I whisper.

'Bo found you asleep, in the hallway, on his way back from patrol. He didn't think you'd appreciate him moving you so he woke me up, and I brought you in here. I've decided I'm not ready to give up sleeping with you, even if it does mean breaking the rules.'

'And I'm not ready to see strange boys naked,' I mumble. 'A warning would be good next time.'

Zach whispers into my ear. 'I'd love to see you naked again.'

'I'd like that too.' I sigh, quickly adding, 'To see you naked.'

Zach chuckles. 'You're definitely changing. Not so long ago you would have told me I was being a crude idiot.'

'You are a crude idiot.' I smirk before frowning. 'What does keep it PG-rated mean?'

'Films have ratings which advise what age they're appropriate for. PG-rated means it should be suitable for most ages except maybe young children, so no other stuff.' Zach winks.

'The fact there are people here automatically means no other stuff. I will say this now, no peeing or people watching us is going to happen in our relationship.'

Zach laughs. 'Sounds good to me.'

The door to the dorm slams open. My head jerks round to watch the man entering. Zach jumps up and stands in front of me so my view is blocked but I hear the loud footsteps thumping towards us.

'I know she's there. Move over, Zach,' the deep voice orders.

Zach doesn't move. I sigh. Standing up, I position myself next to him.

A grey-haired man in front of me is shaking his head. 'She's not allowed in here. Boys only.'

'She was having trouble sleeping,' Zach says.

'I don't care. She's old enough to comfort herself, and if she isn't then maybe she's too young to have a boyfriend,' the man snarls.

'Don't be an ass, Jed,' Bo says, sitting up in his bed.

'This has nothing to do with you, Bo,' Jed sneers without turning round. His gaze is locked on me. I'm confused about what I've done to inspire such aggression. He clearly does not like me.

'It does when you barge in here and wake me up. I was on late patrol last night which means I'm entitled to a lie-in. You're messing up my lie-in, Jed,' Bo says flatly.

'They've spent the last month together with it being only the two of them and now they're expected to sleep separately, give them a break.' Nate pulls a t-shirt on.

'And when will I get a break? Because I won't get one when Ethel's blaming me for this one getting a bun in the oven!' Jed says. 'Time to go, girly!'

Jed grabs my arm, his fingers dig into my skin and my body tenses in response. My free hand curls into a fist and swings out, connecting with his face.

'Don't touch me,' I scream.

A shriek escapes from his mouth, his hand releases me and flies up towards his nose. 'You hit me. You little...'

I run out the room and into the hall before he can finish his sentence. My chest is heaving and my knuckles throb.

Why does punching hurt so much?

'Kit?' Zach approaches me.

I step back, not sure what I'm doing anymore or who I've become. Life was so much simpler in the Naturalist settlement. I knew what was expected of me. I knew where people stood, literally stood. It was always far enough away, a safe distance.

'I didn't mean to,' I whisper.

'I know. He shouldn't have grabbed you,' Zach says, stepping closer. 'Can I see your hand?'

I nod, noticing my hand is throbbing. I offer my sore hand to him and Zach holds it gently, giving my red swollen knuckles a gentle kiss. 'Let's see if we can find something cold to put on it.'

Sitting at the table, Nate is telling everyone about me punching Jed in the face. However, it's gone from a simple punch to a nose breaking blood bath which I'm tempted to believe based on the amount of pain my hand is currently experiencing.

Shit, my hand really hurts.

'Told you she was insane,' Cas shouts with glee.

'He had it coming to be honest,' Bo glances at me and gives me a sympathetic smile. 'I've lost count of the number of times I would have liked to have punched him in the nose.'

'True.' Nate agrees, leaning forward looking at me. 'Kit, you deserve a place in the boys' room. You've got bigger balls than me.'

'That's not saying much, Nate.' Cas laughs.

'I didn't hear you complaining, Cas.' Nate winks.

'You should get your ears checked, I think you may be going deaf,' Cas retorts.

I stare down at my food, zoning out from the conversation. Since the incident this morning, I've hardly said a word. I must be changing because even the crude tone of conversation doesn't embarrass me anymore. I stare at my darkening bruised knuckles, part of me is proud I fought back whilst the other part of me is horrified.

'No matter how long you stare at your hand, it won't stop hurting.' Zach nudges me gently.

'I know,' I sigh.

'Personally, I think it's progress. You made skin to skin contact with someone other than me,' Zach whispers in my ear.

'I punched him in the face.'

'Still skin to skin contact.' Zach shrugs. 'Slow it down next time. Make it a pat rather than a punch, and you've got yourself some perfectly average human interaction.'

'You pat people's noses?' I say flatly before breaking into a small smile.

'Kit, I need to have a word with you.' Ethel stands in front of me. 'Now.'

I nod and get up. Zach starts to stand too.

'I need to talk to Kit alone,' Ethel says, holding out her hand to halt Zach. Zach starts to object but Ethel interrupts him. 'I am happy to have another conversation with you and Kit. Right now, I would like to talk to Kit alone. Kit, you are grown enough to handle this by yourself, aren't you?'

I know you're trying to provoke me, Ethel, because if I refuse to go with you alone I look weak however if I agree, I'll be doing exactly what you want.

I look at Zach. If I used our safeword and said out loud, Zach you promised me a new book, would he really leave right now, no questions asked?

I'm too scared to find out so I simply follow Ethel.