5-A Stab In The Back

A/N: Wow! My longest chapter so far and one of the harder ones I found to write it drags a bit but has a great ending, I promise the story is going to get a bit darker.
Happy reading lovelies if you have any thoughts please let me know, I am happy for constructive criticism.
Love wastelander543 xxx

Serena followed Erol into his apartment.
The house was simple with very little decoration,  if anything it looked like it was hardly lived in.
Erol hung his keys up and took Serena down the hall to the open planned living and kitchen.
A modern white leather couch sat in front of an open gas fire place with grey cushions and a white faux fur rug on the floor.
Above the fire sat a television and a mantle with a few odds and end trinkets and photographs in frames.
Serena inspected them, most depicted Erol in his years of service to the guard with important figures such as commanders and the Baron.
Erol put himself on the couch turned on the TV and petted the seat next to him.
Some anchor woman from the news  droned on about eco levels and prices in the back ground as she joined him.
"So," Serena said nervously, " how's the pain levels? "
"Pretty good actually I'm rather surprised you could do such a good job. "
"Hey, I don't just sit around and do nothing in my ivory tower as you call it." She prodded him in the chest as she said it.
Erol burst out laughing at the comment.
"Well I'm more than happy to save you from your ivory tower any day, the Baron does want more elite guard to start having a presence on the streets."
"Is this so? Well I may just have to have a word about this with the Baron myself,  it's the first I'm hearing of this." She said seriously " It would be good to get out of the palace and get out and about in the streets again."
"Good, as I have a few objectives that could use your expertise."
She smiled at him it was nice to have someone that she could speak to on her level,  who she didn't almost have to watch what she said and could relate too.
"Well since I'm here to help you for the night why don't I see what's in the fridge and I can put together some food for us?" Serena asked him getting up from the couch and heading to the kitchen.
" Of course I'm sure there is plenty in their. " Erol replied and flicked through the channels settling on some NYFE racing.
Serena busied herself in the kitchen rummaging around the cupboards finding the various utensils she required to make them a meal.
She found Yakow steaks in the fridge,  as well as lettuce, carrots,  cheese, onions and tomatoes.
She began cooking the steaks and began cutting the vegetables to make a salad.
"Your a bit of a whizz at this aren't you?" Erol said from his spot on the couch.
"Well I'm an only child and lived with my mother,  she was always busy working so from a young age I taught myself to be able to cook." she said adding the carrots to the bowl.
"Do you visit her often? " Erol asked curious to know more about the woman cooking him food in his kitchen.
" No I visit her grave once a year in Spargus and bring her, her favourite flowers. She passed away when I was fifteen. I had no job and couldn't stay where I was so I got all the money I had and brought a one way ticket to Haven City to start my life as a gaurd."
"Oh I'm sorry about your mother,  I didn't really know mine either she died when I was younger, my farther was a Lieutenant in the guard so I saw him very rarely and was put into boarding schools. " Erol replied, watching Serena work away in the kitchen, he thought she suited being in his home behind that counter quiet well.
They continued the small chatter back and forth until an important race in Kras City came on and Erol became completely lost in it.
That man sure does love his racing. She thought to herself.

Serena finished the steaks added dressing to the salad and served it on crisp white plates at the black granite kitchen bench, there were four black bar stools tucked under the bench.
She pulled one out for her and one out for Errol.
"Come on you, racing can wait food is more important," Serena told him, he looked up from the television.
"Oh sorry, I tend to get a bit involved sometimes. "
She laughed at him, "Don't most men?"
"Well not all men and not always."
He reached up into a cupboard and pulled out two wine glasses, and pulled out a bottle of red.
He handed the bottle to her.
"I'll let you do this part, I don't want to pop the stitches."
Serena grabbed the bottle and uncorked the wine and poured them a glass each and left it on the bench.
"A toast to a beautiful lady, and a new partnership between commanders." He said. The glasses clinked and they both started to eat their meals,
"Okay, we have to do this more often this is amazing!" Erol told her, she stopped eating with her fork halfway to her mouth and stared at him.
"What?  It's just a simple meal. " She told him.
" Well it's delicious and I wouldn't mind doing this more often. "
" Are you asking me out commander Erol? " She gave him a sideways glance, secretly she was jumping around excitedly in her mind.
" I might just be, so what do you say? "
He looked hopeful at her,  she couldn't say no, not only would Torn kick her arse she would kick her own arse, she had always had a soft spot for him over the years.
"Let me think for a moment," she teased. " Yes."
He dropped his fork and kissed her.
She giggled like a teenage girl and grabbed her wine and took a sip and they continued on with their meal.