Chapter 5

035's pov

My cell was suffocatingly silent but my time with the doctor made it more bearable. With old memories bubbling to the surface and new questions to think on I had plenty to keep my mind of my dull situation.

I couldn't believe that I'd suppressed my memories of him for so long. Even with some rather distasteful moments to say the least, our time together was usually nothing short of pleasant.

It was all so vivid to me now that it's as if I'm watching my memories projected onto the wall. 049 hunched over a table scribbling into his journals of operating on a patient. He'd work for hours or days at a time only ever stopping when he'd finished or was interrupted. I'd help him from time to time but I'd usually only get in the way.

I'm no stranger to disappearing into ones work believe me, I've gotten lost in writing plays and songs to many times to count. He just pushed himself to far. Even when I got him to step away from his work he always let it seep into the front of his mind. While he may never admit it his eyes gave him away, constantly focused on something else, I'd grown to know him well enough to tell that he was thinking about his work.

The scientists behind the glass fussed more than usual today. I wasn't able to guess what for though. I may have been able to read their lips at least a little if the glass was less scratched.

Soon the door open and a D-Class came through.

Are they doing what I think they're doing? They are, they're giving me a host! Which can only mean that they're going to do some tests or an interview. After the breach my money's on an interview.

A calloused hand moved over my face as the man went to put me on. Once he placed me on his face the lights began to flicker violently. A dim purple glow filled the room until the lights came back on.

The door opened once again and another man walked in, from what I'd heard he went by Watch.

He'd ask questions and I'd move the conversation off topic. I was nothing serious, just good fun. The scientists and he always caught on anyways so it's not like anything would happen. Not for my lack of trying at least.

I was on my second hosting at this point and we'd had to stop twice by the time the topic of 049 came up.

"We've been suspecting for a while now that you two came in contact before containment," he did a good job at keeping his voice calm but his eyes held so much curiosity.

"Oh it goes a little deeper than that darling. We are lovers he and I," the atmosphere in the room lightened. Fond memories of the times I'd get Doc away from his work played in my mind. Only interrupted when Watch spoke up.

"Really?" I couldn't help but laugh. His face an incredible mix of surprise, confusion and curiosity.

"No, I just wanted to see the look on your face," we may have been something like that once but I doubt we're that close anymore. Watch sighed, it didn't take a genius to realize he was annoyed with me.

"We were partners though," he raised a brow, asking for me to elaborate.

"We traveled Europe together for years. He was always working almost never taking a break. I guess he hasn't changed much since then." That's at least partly true. He seems colder now, more distant. I wasn't about to tell them how caring he could be, I'd much rather keep those memories to myself.

When Watch left he seemed satisfied. The scientists were kind enough to let me keep my host till he expired. That didn't change my situation though. I tried acting out scenes from plays or singing old songs lost to time but my thoughts kept going back to the Doctor. Now that I'd seen him I couldn't get him out of my head, it was nearly insufferable! I had to see him again!