Epilogue

It had been a year since the breach. A year free from the foundation. It got easier to imagine day after day but the thought that at any moment they could open their eyes and it being nothing more than a pleasant dream remained.

Today wasn't the day to think of that though, and maybe there never would be.

It was an early fall morning, the sun just beginning to rise and a few birds cried out from the woods. 049 had woke up about 15 minutes ago, from what he could tell 035 was still asleep. True, they didn't need to sleep but it felt good to rest and so it became part of their schedule. The mask curled close to the doctor.

A shiver ran down 049's spine when a particularly strong gust of wind hit the house. It wasn't falling apart but it was still an old building and it needed some more fixing up. 049 gladly would have stayed in bed longer if it wasn't so cold, the blankets could only do so much and neither of them had much body heat. So he got out of bed, he shivered when his feet touched the cold wood floor.

As quietly as he could he left the bedroom and stepped out into the hall. He peeked into the second bedroom to see if Jay had perhaps come home during the night but it seemed like he was still out traveling. 049 took note of what steps creaked so he could perhaps fix them later.

There wasn't much wood left by the fire place so after he'd gotten the fire started he reluctantly pulled on a coat and went to get some more from outside. When he came back in 035 had woken up and was heating up some water for tea.

It was a quiet morning, there wasn't much conversation. Eventually 049 settled on the old couch with a hot cup of tea and a book 035 had gotten for him, it was a copy of Frankenstein. It didn't take long for 035 to join 049 on couch, leaning against him as he sewed.

The others had all settled in different areas, still relatively close. 682, 079, 053 and 999 had found what looked to be an abandoned power plant. 096 and 173 had wondered off to live in a cave. 106 stayed in his pocket dimension for the most part and the portal to it was in a cooler he'd found in the woods nearby. Jay still traveled but when he wasn't he stayed with 035 and 049.

After a while of relaxing on the couch 049 stood up, he carefully put his book on the shelf and poured himself a fresh cup of tea. He pressed a kiss to 035's forehead before heading towards the stairs.

"I'll be in my office if you need me, mon cher."

035 looked up from is sewing, he ended up stabbing his finger with the needle. "Going to work on the glasses?"

049 nodded.

"Alright."

049 sat hunched over his desk, tinkering with a pair of glasses. Ever since they'd settled down he had to find things to work on since practicing his cure was out of the question. He'd settled on trying to pickup as many skills and hobbies as he could, he began to read more, garden, anything to keep him busy while he couldn't perform surgery. When they were breaching he offered to get 096 some glasses and he had been working on them for awhile now.

He'd lost track of time when there was a knock on the door. "Yes?"

035 walked in holding a glass of water. "I just wanted to check on ya, figured you might've finished your tea."

He had in fact finished the cup of tea. 035 took the mug and replaced it with the glass of water.

"How much longer till you finish the glasses?"

049 pondered the question for a moment, holding the glasses up to inspect them. "It shouldn't be much longer now, with any luck at least."

Holding the glasses up to his eyes gave 049 a headache, they were far stronger than any prescription he could ever use.

035 pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "Don't overwork yourself dear."

"You know me well enough to know that I might be as far from overworking myself as I've ever been."

"Just reminding you." With that the mask left the office.

As 035 walked down the stairs he couldn't help but feel proud of the Doctor. After they got out 049 had slowly been improving, he didn't stress over his work as much, he had been practicing calming himself down when anxious, and was taking better care of himself in general. 035 got an idea, but he'd have to go into town.

He pulled on his usual attire for trips into town, gloves, a jacket, boots and a scarf. He pulled the hood of his jacket up and the scarf up to his nose. After grabbing a small pouch of money he headed out. Thanks to the left over money from the jewelry and selling things from new hobbies they'd had plenty of money.

The town hadn't changed that much, which 035 was thankful for, it was nice to be somewhere familiar. It didn't take him long to find the shops he had been looking for.

By the time he was home he would have just enough time to prepare. He placed the bags on the counter and set to work. Usually 049 was the one to work with wine but 035 knew enough.

The sun was starting to set and the air began to grow cold, it wouldn't be long until 049 left his office for the night. 035 sat by the fire place, starting up another fire. Footsteps echoed down from the staircase, 049 was right on time, as expected. Without a word he curled up on the couch. 035 saw his chance and walked into the kitchen, soon retuning with two glasses.

"Here," handed one of the glasses to 049 and took a sip.

"Mulled wine? Thank you mon cher."

"Oh don't thank my yet. I got you a gift."

049 gave him a curious look as he pulled a small box out of his back pocket. He opened it to reveal a white gold ring with a small red gem set into it.

"I wanted to get you a new ring and I thought that this one would fit you wonderfully," his voice was sweet and sounded like that of a man in love.

A smile pulled at 049's lips as 035 placed it on his hand. They cuddled up by the fire and 049 pressed a gentle kiss to 035's cheek.

"Je t'aime."

"I love you too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that's it guys! I just want to thank you for reading and for all of the support, it really means the world to me. I hope you enjoyed!

If any of you have any suggestions for future stories please feel free to share (I'd be more than happy to write more for these two)