Chapter 17

With the group now together they could finally start their escape.

The plan was simple in idea but not so much in execution. They'd make their way to one of the sites many exits and once they were a reasonable distance away 106 would pull them into his pocket dimension for easier travel.

A mix of thoughts and feelings filled each of their heads. Hope that they'd be able to escape. Relief at the idea of no longer having to put up with the foundation. Anxiety over whether their attempts would be in vain. Fear of what would happen if they failed. And an odd sense of nostalgia. They had been kept locked away for months, years, who knows how long truthfully. And now they were finally leaving. It felt peaceful compared to the usual chaos of the site.

The group held quite conservative. They talked of life outside of the foundation, what they might do once they escaped, all in all pleasant conversation. It felt good. It felt comfortable.

049 and 035, who had fallen to the back of the group, were caught up in their own chatter.

"Do you think we would be remembered, if we ever went back to any of those small towns?" 035 mused, an arm absently hooked with the Doctor's.

After a moment of pause he answered. "Perhaps you would, if they haven't changed too much, but I doubt that I would be."

"Why do you say that, Doc?"

"A traveling doctor who keeps to himself is nothing memorable compared to a sentient, and rather dramatic, theater mask."

049 might have found that statement true, but it was wrong, that 035 knew. It made his heart feel heavy to think that the Doctor could ever consider himself as less memorable. He was wrong, it was just a matter of making him realize it.

"Darling why would you think that? I mean look at everything you've done. You've made such strides in the scientific and medical field that even the foundation can't figure out how you do what you do." He unhooked his arm from the 049's so he could properly hold his hand. "Your would is amazing and you're nothing short of memorable."

049 sighed. "I suppose you're right, I should hope I've made at least a few discoveries in my centuries of work."

Doubt lingered in his mind and 035 could feel it. He could see it hidden behind those golden eyes he'd fallen for so many years ago. Still 049 saying he was right was enough for now.

A comfortable silence fell between the two but it only lasted for a moment before 049 began to hum. It was an old church hymn, as was most of what he would hum. It took 035 a moment to remember but once he had he wondered how he could have forgotten.

It was from a church in one of the many small French towns they had visited. While 035 found himself avoiding churches that one stood out to him. He wasn't sure why it was no different than any of the other churches that the Doctor had taken him to see, but it stuck with him.

035 sighed, unconsciously leaning towards the Doctor. "That was always one of my favorites."

"I seem to remember a very annoyed mask grumbling when I insisted on taking him with me to visit." 049's voice was calm and cool as it usually was but there was an endeared look in his eye.

The mask chuckled and they continued down the hall, hand in hand.

Minutes and countless hallways passed by as well the group made it closer and closer to the exit.

"We're almost at the exit." 079's voice echoed through the empty halls.

053 nuzzled further into the thick black hair that ran along 682's back, bits of her yellow dress just barley poking through.