Chapter 18

They hadn't planned this far ahead. They never planned where they'd go after they got out. They grew panicked as realization set in for the second time that night, this time lacking any of the joy from the first.

The were in the middle of the woods, god knows where, and had no plan.  The foundation was probably already trying to track them down. If the foundation ever caught up those not already on the list could end up terminated.

"So, what the hell are we gonna do now?" Once 106 asked time seemed to pause. No one moved and even the woods around them seemed to grow silent.

Slowly voices picked up. The whispers turned to muttering. Muttering turned to panicked chatter. Everyone trying to talk over the others.

096 already feeling tears roll down his face walked a bit further into the woods. 053 and 999 following after.

The tension was high and panic was building, couple that with a few emotional and easily angered scps and you're lucky if the fight doesn't get physical.

049, even with his mind buzzing a mile a minute, knew they would get nowhere arguing.

"Could you-" his voice just mixed in with the others. 035 seemed to be the only one who could hear him.

"Would you all quiet down for a second?"

"Oh, you'd know something about that, wouldn't you!"

With that comment from 682 the argument picked up again. Nothing could be heard other than the bickering scps. After a moment of this 049 was at his wits end.

"Be quiet."

That seemed to snap the others out of their arguing. It was jarring to hear 049 raise his voice, even he had seemed a bit shocked. He could hardly remember the last time he had raised his voice like that.

"Now," he continued. "Arguing won't due us any good. We need a plan not the lot of you pointlessly quarreling."

There were mutters of agreements and a moment of quiet.

" You're old house in France, we can stay there!" It was Jay who had offered the idea.

"It's been abandoned for what? Over two hundred years? How do we know if it's even still standing?" 035 couldn't help but doubt that they'd ever be able to return there.

"It's still standing and I've been doing my best to take care of it." Jay sounded a bit insulted at the assumption he'd just leave it to rot. "The town around it is still pretty small to."

"Does anyone else have any ideas?" 049 held his hands in front of himself, a small smile on his face.

No one protested the idea but there was one thing that needed discussing, which 079 brought up.

"How are we supposed to get to France?"

049 thought for a moment, eyes trained at the ground.

"My bag has no limit as of how much it could hold and it's contents don't affect it's weight. So If we got transportation I could carry you all in it."

"What about your mask? People don't usually just wander around in bird masks." This time it was 682 who had a question to ask.

"It can be . . . removed."

035 knew what that would mean and he didn't like the thought of it, but he could already see a determined glint in the doctor's eye.

"You sure about this dear?" That was all he could ask.

"Yes. I'm sure of it. Just give me awhile and it'll be done."

The others nodded and 049 walked further into the woods, just out of sight of the rest. Jay brought the other three who had wandered away back towards the group.

035 followed the Doctor and after a moment knocked of the trunk of a tree. " Would it be alright if I stayed with you? Incase you need me?"

A smile pulled at the corners of 049's mouth. "I see no reason why you shouldn't."

The two shared a chuckle before 049 reached into his bag for his scalpel.

With a deep sigh and shaky hands he pulled down his hood. Before he could make another move 035 had wrapped his arms around him.

You know you don't have to do this right? We can find another way out."

"I know, but this may be the best chance we have."