Chapter Twelve: Hope

ANASTASIA'S POV:

Hope.

A feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

<><><><> 

Walking from our newly found lockers to our first class of the day was utterly nerve-wracking. My anxiety was at a high point it hadn't reached in years. There was a high chance that I was about see one of my older brothers for the first time in two years.

I didn't want to see any of my brothers, except for Michael. I had hoped to never see most of my brothers again. Now though, that seemed a little bit inevitable. I was going to see my brothers at some point. We were on the same side of town that they live on and there was only one high school we were allowed to go to because of where we lived.

We had to be on this side of town because it was closer to where my future building was located, it was closer to where I needed to be. So as much as I didn't like living on this side of town where I was going to end up running into my biological family at some point, I had to push myself past that point, past that detail, and remember that I was doing this to help my adoptive family continue on with the legacy they started.

I was not only doing this to continue on with their legacy, but because this could help find their killers.

And that was worth everything to me.

<><><><>

Standing in front of the door, where Mr. Smith's world history class was taking place, I took in a deep breath, watching as my friends gathered around me.

Luke, Layla, Wyatt, myself, Jamie, Max, and Kayla were lined up in that specific order, myself being a step in front of the group.

Myself being the leader and them being my underbosses, meant I was generally in the front lines and they were my second line of defense, right behind me. It was the way we worked, if I fell down I knew I had six other dependable people to pick up my slack. 

"You've got this, girly." Jamie told me, smiling at my stiff figure.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Yeah." Max replied.

"And we'll be right here." Luke continued.

Kayla continued his sentence, "Every step of the way, Ana. We're not leaving you anytime soon."

"Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving..." Jamie started, "We continue getting stronger and more resilient, so hang on tight, don't let go, and remember that."

"Thanks Jam." I smiled slightly at her.

"You're welcome. It's something my mom and I would say all the time." Jamie informed me, returning the smile.

"Okay, I've got this. He's just possibly my older brother who let me get abused for seven years. This is nothing." I ranted quietly before Layla cut me off.

"Hey, do the thing that makes us seem badass!" she told me excitedly.

"Alright, Layla." I laughed slightly.

"Stern faces, you heard the woman." Layla demanded.

I looked at my best friends faces and seen that they all had amusement in their eyes, yet their faces were emotionless. I took a deep breath and put my hand on the doorknob before slightly letting the door open.

I picked my foot up and slammed it against the door, watching as the door hit the wall, listening to the slam that followed seconds later with the silence of the classroom as they all stared at us in the doorway, shock covering their faces.