Chapter Thirteen: Ambush

Later that Afternoon

ANASTASIA'S POV:

Ambush.

A surprise attack by people lying in wait in a concealed position.

<><><><> 

I should have expected the ambush my biological brothers had forced my way, but I didn't. I thought over the two years I had been gone they would have matured enough to know when I needed to be left alone.

They hadn't though.

They definitely had the upper hand this time.

But this time was the last time, because I finally snapped.

<><><><>

"Yeah, no kidding. I am more than ready to go pick up my babies and cuddle with them before having to work for a little while." I smiled happily at Luke.

Luke, Jamie, and I had our last period together, and we're currently walking to the cars where we'd be meeting the rest of the group. Our teacher for last period, decided to let us off ten minutes early and we were able to leave the school right away, letting us get a head start on the rush of student traffic that would be making its way throughout the halls very shortly.

Luckily, in the last class of the day I only had one brother to deal with, and that brother was Nathan.

Nathan understood I wasn't ready to talk with my biological family yet, and so he didn't push me into having a conversation with him. Jackson and Mason, on the other hand, tried cornering me every chance they had when we somehow had the same classes as each other. Matthew was the same way.

I truly love my brothers, always have, and always will. But that didn't mean I was ready to be around them in the slightest.

Honestly, I probably could have gone the rest of my life without seeing them ever again and I'd totally be okay with that. Though, from my brothers reactions I could tell they most definitely would not be okay with that.

"So, who gets the babies this afternoon after you hang out with them for a bit?" Jamie asked curiously, as we stopped at her locker.

We had already stopped at my locker and Luke's locker, grabbing all of the things we'll need for tonight. Luckily most of our teachers decided to not give us any homework, considering that today was the first day of school.

All I had to do this afternoon was standard work for the company and gang: signing documents, looking over plans, budgeting, making phone calls, and possibly having a few last minute work meetings. That would take a few hours to complete, but after that stuff is finished I'll be clear to do whatever I want this evening.

"Uh, isn't it yours and Kayla's turn?" I asked Jamie.

"Today's our day?" she asked in shock.

"Yeah." Luke laughed at her confused face, "Keep up, slow poke."

"I am not slow." she huffed, "Tell'em Ana."

"She's not slow." I agreed, "But yes, Jam, it is your turn today."

"Okay, thank you for reminding me politely and not being an ass about it." Jamie smiled at me before turning to glare at Luke, who raised his hands in surrender.

Suddenly the loud blare of the bell, releasing the students for dismissal rang out in the hallway.

"We better get going." Luke stated as we watched the once empty hallways fill up with hundreds of students.