Chapter Twenty-Four: Speechless

A Few Days Later - Tuesday, December 15th. 2015, 7:17 PM

ANASTASIA'S POV:

Speechless.

Unable to speak, especially as the temporary result of shock or some other strong emotion.

<><><><> 

It was a few days later. My brothers had come over to our "mansion" as they called it for some one-on-one training with Layla and Jamie, who had recently taken on the challenge of them being the only two to train the Smith Brothers in hand-to-hand combat.

They had just finished for the night, and before they left, we had started a small conversation between the six of us: James, Matthew, Jackson, Mason, Nathan, and myself. It was slightly awkward, but for the most part the conversation flowed easily.

We kept the conversation relatively light, sitting in between two of the larger sofas in the living room, until I knew it would be a good time to pry a few slim answers out of my older brothers.

"James..."

"Yes, Anastasia?" he questioned, shock at the fact that I had willingly spoken to him about anything. I generally spoke to him through someone else. 

I hesitated for a moment before deciding to bite the bullet, "Do you remember anything strange ever happening with mom and dad before they died?"

James sat there for a moment before he crossed his arms, raised his eyebrow, and questioned me, "Why the sudden interest, baby sister?"

"I'm just wondering..." I played it off.

Though there was a reason for my concern, not that I was ready to share that with my brothers just yet. It would be easier to ask instead of going on a wild goose chase for important information that was covered up in plain sight.

"I suppose there were the times growing up where a man would bang on the front door. Mom or dad would answer it and huge arguments would break out. Almost every time it was mom who answered the door, the guy would try to break his way in, but mom always stopped him. When I was younger she seemed like she had super strength, the guy was at least twice her weight and almost three heads taller, but he looked like dad, and was definitely more intimidating than dad."

I stayed silent, staring at James, in what probably looked to be a small amount of appreciation, before I spoke, "Thank you for telling me."

I was quiet for another moment before I continued speaking, "If you remember anything else that seemed weird or strange, any of you, please let me know."

"You got it, sissy." Nathan smiled reassuringly at me.

<><><><>

It was a few minutes later, everyone had gone back to their original conversations, when Jackson spoke up after having been quiet, "Can I ask a personal question?"

I looked around the room quickly, before coming to the conclusion he was talking to me, "Yeah, why not." I shrugged.

"What happened to your second set of parents?"

I hesitated for a moment before answering, "Well, my adoptive mother and father were the previous leaders of the gang I now run, so he had quite the amount of threats. And one time, an attack simply slipped under the radar. We have no idea how, but with that attack not being on our radar, the opposing side gunned most of the family down. All our parents are gone, leaving us with only each other and the little twins."

"You said they knew our parents?" Mason then intervened, "Do you think our parents knew what they were doing?"

"They did, I'm sure of it." I replied immediately, "Once Alex and Miles died, I was allowed the right to look through everything they had once owned. I found a note, the note explained that once I turned seventeen I'd be sent to live with Alex and Miles by our parents, seeing as at the time they hadn't had any heirs. They'd train me for a bit, before I would become the leader of the gang, but plans change, just like people."