Aftermath

Alex POV

I woke up in the hospital and there he was.

"Hey baby," he whispered in my ear as he kissed my forehead.

"Hey," I replied groggily. My last memory was hearing the alarms and seeing the oxygen masks on the plane. I blacked out after that.

"What happened?" I asked looking down at the bandages on my legs.

"You were in a plane crash and you went into shock that left you in a medically induced coma, As soon as I heard and as soon as I learned what hospital you were at, Star, Simone, Ms. Carlotta, and I drove through the night to get to you. You've been asleep for 36 hours."

"Omg, Derek, what?"

"Alex, I need you to calm down and breathe. Inhale and exhale, keep doing while I go find your doctor.

Dr. Moss came in and gave me the rundown on the incidents leading up to me getting put in a coma and what the next steps in my recovery were.

As he was talking, I zoned him out. Honestly, it all sounded so surreal. I had just broken up with Noah and Take 3. I was going to New York to escape all the feelings of guilt and anger I had with myself, group, Noah, and my parents. I was also escaping because I realized I never fell out of love with Derek and had to face the fact that he had moved on. The plane crash was the last thing I needed to happen to me.

"Alex, how do you feel about your recovery process," Dr. Moss asked snapping me back to reality.

"Whatever it takes for me to make a full recovery, I will do."

"Ok, great. I'll have the nurse come in and give you your pain meds. I have prescribed some additional medication for pain and possible PTSD that may happen. I encourage you to take as needed. Also, the hospital has some great counseling options if you want to explore what those are. I'll check back in on you tomorrow morning."

Dr. Moss left just leaving Derek and I. I was nervous about what to say to him. Where would I even begin? Do I apologize again? Do I ask about his girl? Do I ask about us?

All those thoughts and more were running through my mind as he came closer to me and grabbed both my hand.

"I'm sorry. You didn't have to leave your girl to come to check on me. I appreciate you being here but you can feel free to go now."

He smiles and comes closer to my lips, putting a small peck on them.

"Do you want me to leave, Alex"

"I would love for you to stay but I don't want to cause problems between you and your girlfriend especially if she doesn't know you're here."

"Baby, there are no problems to cause. I talked to her and it's over. Honestly, when I heard about the crash, I knew that I never stopped loving you and that when you came to my front porch spilling your heart out that I should've grabbed and kissed you right then and there. I told her all of that but she already knew that I had always been yours"

I start crying. After all, I put him through, he still loved me. I never thought that was going to be possible again.

"Baby, you don't have to cry. We are going to be together and we are going to work through our communication and issues. I promise."

With the little strength that I did have, I grabbed him by the face and kissed him as I've never kissed him before. He was my best friend, my safe space. I was blessed to have him back.

"How about I go find the girls and Ms. Carlotta so you can have a moment with them."

Derek left the room to find them.

______________________________________________________________________________

"Guys, she's awake. She knows about the plane crash and her recovery process. She's still in shock and shaken up so if you could be as gentle as possible with her, that would be appreciated. Please don't stress my girl out"

"Sure, Derek. Alex is our sister. All we want to do right now is love and hug on her," Simone said holding Star's hand

"Star, no funny shit. Today is not the day."

"Damn, I know when to nip it in the bud," Star said back at Simone giving her a steep stare down.

"Girls, come on let's go keep Alex company as Derek takes some alone time to recoup," Ms. Carlotta said as she led the way to Alex's hospital room.

The girls with Ms. Carlotta knock on Alex's door as Simone turns the knob to open the door.

"ALEXXXXX!" Simone screams in excitement as she rushes over to give her a hug.

"I am so glad you're ok. When we got the call, we dropped everything to get to you. We were so scared."

"Aw Simone, it's by the Grace of God that I'm alright and alive."

"Would you look at that, the atheist is thanking God," Star said as she walked over to Alex.

"Star, what did we say in the waiting room?"

"Ms. C, it's ok. I know she's saying that out of love."

"Listen, guys, I apologize about how out of hand things got at the Showcase. I was deal...

Star cut her off.

"Alex, it's ok. We all had some hurtful shit and did things we shouldn't have. We are just happy you are safe and well. We can discuss details and talk through everything later."

Ms. C chimed in, "yes, we can but for right now, we want you to get your rest. We plan on leaving in the morning and Derek will stay with you and wait for your parents to arrive in town."

"My parents know?"

"Yes, and they are worried sick. Listen, Alex, I know your relationship isn't the best but you're still there flesh and blood," Ms. C said reassuring Alex that everything would be ok.

"I love you guys. It will always be us, no matter what."

"Always," Simone said.

"Forever," Star followed.

"Can one of y'all go find my man so we can cuddle as best we can on this small ass bed."

"I'll go find him but don't be having sexing it up in this hospital room," Star yelled as she exited the room with Simone and Ms. C behind her.

Knowing that everything was fine with Derek and the girls, Alex took a deep sigh knowing her next battle was her parents.