Reconnecting

Alex was extremely nervous about seeing her parents. It had been a year since she threw her credit cards at her dad declaring that she didn't need her parent's financial help anymore. Since then, there had been minimal contact between them and honestly, she was fine with it staying that way. 

"I'm not sure if I can have this conversation with them today," Alex said pacing the room back and forth.

"Baby, I know this is hard and uncomfortable for you but if you don't have this conversation now, you never will."

Alex knew Derek was right. She had been avoiding this conversation for so long and knew it was long overdue. But she was nervous. What would she say? How would they react? Suddenly, a knock at the door startled Alex and she knew that it was time to face her fears. 

"Alexandra baby, it's mom, can I come in?"

With a big and long sigh, Alex gave Derek the ok signal to open the door.

Rushing past Derek and not speaking, Rose immediately went to hug her daughter. 

"Omg, sweetie. You are all banged up. What did the doctor say? How long is your healing process? Do we need to sue the airline?" Rose kept asking questions as she touched all over Alex's face. 

"Mom, I'm fine. Is dad with you," Alex asked looking nervously anticipating her father's arrival. 

"You know your father. When business calls, he answers." 

"Typical," Alex said with disappointment in her tone. 

Sitting in silence, Derek spoke up. 

"Mrs. Crane, the doctor said Alex will make a full recovery and will be up on her feet in a few weeks."

"Yeah, so you don't have to worry mom. Actually, you didn't even have to come. We could've done this over facetime."

"Alexandra, don't be silly. Of course, I had to come. What kind of mother would I be if I didn't?" 

"The same mother you've always been, non-existent." 

Feeling the tension in the room and knowing this was Alex's chance to have an open and honest conversation with her mom, Derek excused himself from the room. 

"Alex, baby, I'll let you and your mom have some alone time to catch up. I'll be in the waiting room making a few phone calls if you need me."

Derek could see that Alex was fuming so he walked over to her to whisper a few words of encouragement in her ear. 

"I know you don't want to but this is the perfect opportunity to have the conversation you need to have with your mom. Everything is going to be ok. I love you." 

Derek kissed Alex on the forehead and made his way to the waiting room. 

Once Derek left, Rose walked over to Alex's bed and sat at her feet. 

"I was wrong about him. That boy loves you." 

"Mom, you were wrong about a lot of things. You were wrong about me not being able to make it in Atlanta. You were wrong about Derek being jailbait. About Ms. C and the girls. Most importantly, you were wrong about me." 

Alex looked up at her mom after her statement realizing that she had hurt her feelings but she didn't care. She knew this was her moment to release everything she had been bottling up for so long. This was her chance to speak her truth. 

"I realize that I was wrong about everything and I apologize. I was just trying to be a good mom for once and shield you from disappointment and hardship. It was my way of trying to make up for not being a good mom to you for all those years," Rose said as she wiped tears that had fallen down from her cheek.