Let's Get It On

It had been two weeks since therapy. Alex and Derek had just completed their homework assignment from Dr. Harper. They prioritized their list just like she asked them to. The top five they were focusing on besides better communication and moving in together was: being intimate,  supporting each other's goals, getting married, changing the Atlanta community together, and becoming parents. They felt if they could get the first five right, everything else would fall into place. 

Alex and Derek both agreed that being intimate was the main priority. They were young and before they broke up, had a very active sex life filled with adventure and excitement. They both missed it and wanted to get back to it. Not to mention that they were extremely sexually frustrated. Everything Derek did made Alex want to attack him. She was feigning. And so was Derek. Just spooning and cuddling her at night made him hard. They were both on edge and ready to break at any given moment. Given that today was Derek's last physical appointment, they were both hoping that their night would be spent making up for the lost time. 

But before she could get what she wanted, she had to complete Dr. Harper's mother-daughter assignment. She was going to meet her mother at the local community center at 10 am to volunteer with their music chorus. She was excited to spend more time with her mom but was also nervous. She just wanted the day to go well. 

Alex arrived at the community center around 9:45 to check in. Her mom arrived a few minutes after her. Once they were both checked in, they made their way to the chorus room to surprise a group of eighth graders. The students were so shocked when they saw Alexandra Crane walk through the door and started screaming. 

"Alex, we love you! You're so beautiful," they all said running to give her hugs. 

"You guys are too sweet. This is my mom and we came by to hear what you were working on. Can we hear a few songs?"

The chorus sang Unlove You which is what they were working on for their annual concert. Alex was impressed because they truly made the song their own. Once they were finished, Alex gave some constructive criticism as well allowed them to ask her questions about her career and the music industry. As Alex and Rose were leaving, the chorus instructor invited her to their annual concert at the end of the year. 

After they left the community center, Alex and her mom decided to stop to get lunch before they went on to Rose's afternoon activity. They stopped in a local soul food restaurant to get a meat and 3. 

"This place is interesting," Rose looked around not knowing what to make from the various pictures of black activists and rappers on the wall. 

"Mom, relax. It has the best food. You'll enjoy it."

"You were really great with the kids. They loved you. It came so naturally."

"Thanks, mom. I really enjoyed them. They were a fun bunch. I hope that my schedule allows me to go to the concert." 

"I'm sure you can arrange your schedule to ensure it all works out. Speaking of schedules, what's next for you?"

Honestly, Alex wasn't sure. With Star on the summer tour with Noah and Simone in the DR with Angel, it allowed her the time she needed to refocus and shift her music career in the direction she wanted it to go. 

"I'm still figuring all of that out. Once the girls get back in town, we will have to discuss what's next for Take 3. All I know is that I want my solo career to be what I want and not what people want for me so I'm taking my time to make sure it is done right and done the way I want it to be."

"Honey, that's great. You're so talented and anything you do will be amazing." 

Alex loved her mothers words of affirmation. For the first time in her life, she felt that her mom had really seen who she was as a person and an artist.