Karma

I never thought I would end up here.

Of course I didn't ever think I would be in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Karma just had to prove me wrong.

Earlier that day

Walking down main street was always a struggle. The sidewalks always full of people, rushing to work.

Then again, I'm going to work.

So I guess that sentence is a bit hypocritical.

There's tourists, and protesters. We can't forget the homeless sitting on the curbs.

I find an alleyway, and decide it's the persecution shortcut. Walking swiftly down the dark alley, I accidentally run into something.

At first I think it's just a trashcan. I try to go around it, when the object starts to shake. It makes a groaning sound. My body freezes.

"Please just be a cat." I whisper, touching the object. I slowly move my hand up, and find a chest. I crouch down, and move it so it's sitting up.

That's when I notice the features. Well human features.

"What happened to you?" I whisper.

"A cat." He groans. I hold in a chuckle.

"Are you hu-" I don't finish my sentence, since there's a pounding of footsteps.

"Oh thank goodness. Officer, " he points his gun at me.

"Put your hands up!"

"W- what?" I question slowly putting my hands up.

"You are under arrest!" He shouts.

"W- why? I was just helping that man." I stammer.

"You have his blood all over you! You expect me to believe that lie!"

I hang my head in defeat. Not like I can prove anything.

Present time

That'd how I got here. Hanging out in a holding cell. Well something like that. I don't really know the justice system.

"Why were you in that alley?" Of course the police have been badgering me to say something wrong.

"It was a shortcut to my work. I was running late, so I decided to cut through it." I explain for the fifth time today.

"Then why are you covered in the man's blood?"

"I tripped over him, I actually thought he was just a trashcan. Then he groaned, and I tried to help him." I reply monotonously.

"We might need the lie detector." The officer mumbles under his breath. The door bursts open.

"Why are you still questioning this girl."

Hey I recognize that voice, I look up. It's the guy from the alley.

"Because she's lying." The officer responds.

"And you are an idiot. This girl saved me." The guy from the alley responds back. 

"B- But Mr. Vaughn." The officer stutters out. My eyes widen in surprise.

"Y- Your Mr. Vaughn?" I whisper. Both of their heads snapping out of their little staring contest.

"Yes, you didn't recognize me?" Mr. Vaughn asks.

"N- no, I haven't seen a magazine in years. I don't even have a T.V." I reply, hanging my head down in shame.

"See, this girl had no idea who I was. She was just walking in the alley, and stopped to help me. Now stop being stupid, and go search that alley."

"Y- yes sir." The officer uncuffs my hands, he bolts out the door.

"Now, come little one. I'll escort you." Mr. Vaughn states.

"Oh, no. I can make it on my own, you need to go back and get some rest. Sir." I state, leaving the room.

"I would prefer to help the woman who saved me. Besides, I feel like we are going to get to know each other better." He replies, following beside me. He gentle puts his hand on my back.

"But sir-" 

"Don't worry little one. I'll take care of you." He whispers.

What have I just gotten myself into?