Loudon, NH

"He's running pretty well." Darian grub yells over to me as I climb up the ladder to the pit box.

The New England weather was brutal honestly. There was this crisp cool air that keeps brushing across my face. It's not a pleasant feeling either. I finally step foot onto the rubber matting of the pit box when Denny pulls onto pit lane. It was only second practice. Later on is when he qualifies. I can hear the engine grow silent as I sit down on the cold chair. The plastic sends a shiver up my back and I wrap my arms around myself to try to warm myself up. That's when I see Darian get up from his seat. He grabs his notebook and heads down the box ladder.

"your kidding me right?" I say out loud.

Darian yells back up to me that they are heading to the garage. I reach out to fix a piece of hair. The air was so cold. Every time that I would breath out I can see my breath. Finally after a few moments I decide to get up. My legs were so stiff by the time I got myself onto the pavement. The cold just wasn't for me, it seemed to enjoy locking my joints up. Before I take my first step towards the garage area I feel someone wrap their arms around me.

"Cold?" He asks me jokingly.

As I turn around in his arms I frown. His FedEx fire suit was so warm I decided to burry myself almost into it.

"Babe it's only 53 degrees out. Are you sure your alright?" Denny says to me with concern in his voice.

I kiss him on the lips and then pull away. Before he can say anything else I take off towards the garage area. Every step I take I can feel my feet pounding onto the asphalt. My breathing had picked up as I run by the nascar officials. I can hear Denny running almost in pace behind me. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground.

"Ouch much." I hear from underneath me.

As I push myself up I see his deep brown eyes followed by his young face. The last thing i saw was his brown but soft hair. Behind me I hear Denny slowing down trying to calm his breathing pattern. I pull myself up off of chase almost embarrassed.

"Ummm sorry....chase." I say trying to hold back my embarrassment.

He smiles as I hold out my hand to help pull him up.he takes it and I pull him up to his feet.

" it's all good. Who were you running from anyways? Cause damn did you catch me off guard. I walk out of my trailer just to be side swiped by an angel." Chase says out loud.

Denny's face grows angry and he then steps in front of me standing between chase and I. He lifts his right arm up and points at chase.

"Back the hell off Elliott. Dakota is my girl. I know you're a good kid and I don't want to be your enemy. But helI I'll lay your ass to the ground right now if need be." Denny says to chases face.

Chase looks at me and then shifts his eyes back to Denny. He crosses his arms and takes a step forward taking Denny's tantrum as a challenge.

"Go ahead, try it. I dare you." Chase says almost like he's spitting at Denny's face.

I can see Denny's hand forming a fist. I quickly wrap my hand around it. Denny glares back at me but I don't let go.

" your all talk Hamlin. You wouldn't hit me even if I had Dakota in my arms." He says.

Denny had a short fuse and chase was wearing down on it pretty quickly.

" You know what chase. Hitting you is for kids your age. Would you like to know what us adults do?" Denny says.

He then pulls away from me and full force lays a right hand into chases face. Chase stumbles back holding his face.

When Denny's fist hit chases face a loud 'CRACK' sound came from chases face. I watch chase stumble backwards and his hands both quickly go up to the side of his jaw. Blood was dripping from his mouth.