GIW who?

The Dark Knight watched the boys for a few moments through the window. He realized they would be fine and left to call a meeting with the rest of the available League members.  As everyone settled into their seats, they talked quietly among themselves.

 Superman was at the head of the table. He called everyone to order. Everyone looked at Batman at the end of the table curious as to why they had been called to the emergency meeting. Batman brought up the GIW on the screen along with text showing the anti-ecto laws and what exactly they allowed. The Dark Knight looked at those present and started speaking. "This is what I have called this meeting about. These laws and the government agency that is tasked with implementing them." 

Flash was the first one to speak up. "These are talking about ghost laws, why would we care about those, ghost don't exist." 

Batman looked at him with an expressionless look. "If that were true we wouldn't be here. I met one recently. Let me show you." Batman turned back to the computer and a video started of the recent incident. He showed the other league members Robin and Phantom interacting and then the shot sent at Phantom. It clearly showed Phantom turning to protect Robin.

The others started shouting "you said this was a government agency, they shot  a kid, two kids they didn't care that someone was in there way!!!"

 Batman nodded and pulled up other videos that showed the GIW chasing ghost usually Phantom and the property damage done in the process. One video even showed the GIW using a weapon in a populated area that would have hurt civilians if Phantom hadn't intervened. The video continued showing the agents continuing to attack Phantom causing him to lose focus on his shield which resulted in a civilian being hit. There the video paused.

 Batman looked over at everyone with a grim look. "the civilian in the video survived but was hospitalized for several weeks. The anti-ecto acts are unlawful, ghost are sentient beings with feelings and can most certainty feel pain." Batman clicked something on the computer he kept on his wrist." I would like all of you to meet Phantom."

 Phantom entered the room floating a few feet off the ground. He gave a shy wave and muttered out a "hi" Grimacing still in pain from the healing wound on his back.

 Robin slipped into the room behind him. Phantom looked at all the heroes in front of him with awe. Then focused on the video that was paused. He looked at the man with guilt and sorrow on his face. 

Superman realizing what the young ghost was thinking stood and said "Batman showed us the whole video we saw how you tried to protect everyone despite the fact you where being attacked. You did a good job."

 Phantom glanced at the still shot again and muttered "not good enough." Everyone there gave the ghost a sympathetic look, they had all been there. You can't save everyone.

 Superman frowned but decided not to say anything else on the matter. He nodded at Batman and started talking "we need to discuss these laws." He looked at Phantom" What can you tell us about them."

 Phantom sat cross legged in the air, with his elbows resting on his legs and his head resting on his hands." Well....... they are complete and utter bullshit."

 Everyone gave a smirk at that, the kid had sass in spades, good for him. " They where made so it would be legal for the GIW to hunt my kind down and experiment on them and dispose of us without getting in trouble. The basis of the law is that they are mindless beings without remorse or feelings or the ability to feel pain. I can assure you I feel all of those things."

 Superman gave a subtle look to Martian Manhunter and the Martian nodded his head. He could sense the young one telling the truth. 

Batman noticed when the kid was talking he would say "they" and other times say "us" as if he wasn't included in the subject. He filed it away to think of later. 

Superman looked at the boy for a moment in quiet contemplation." Well I think we can all agree that those laws need to be abolished. I for one will not stand for sentient beings being treated this way. We will need your help with this." He looked at Phantom." Will you tell us more about ghost?"

 Phantom gaped at him for a few moments in complete shock. Batman nudged him with his elbow with a smirk. Phantom snapped his mouth shut and gave a huge grin." Yeah, I can totally do that." With that the League members settled in to learn all they could about ghost.

 As Phantom explained what he knew of ghost, the heroes would occasionally ask questions. It stayed that way for the first hour or so until Green Arrow asked "why don't you just destroy the portal those scientist made. 

Phantom turned to him with a look of horror. "I can't do that! That's their life work! Besides they already think I'm evil unfeeling waste of ectoplasm, how do you think it would look if I went into their house and started destroying things? I have enough bad press as it is."

 Batman nodded and took the opportunity to bring up the mayor incident and the theft Phantom was accused of. Batman looked at the boy "I think we need an explanation for this. Clearing your name would make it easier for you to help us get these laws overturned.

 "Wow, you gathered all of this in the few days you known about me?" Phantom turned and looked at the others. "That's terrifying." He heard a few chuckles then Phantom took a deep breath and started his explanations happy to finally have someone on his side.