17; unfriendly reunion

A few months had passed since Jaren and I had officially started dating. Aside from the relationship, Raven and Avery had started dating too. We had been introduced and Avery stayed over often. Which was good. For the record she was a really sweet girl and I'm happy Raven is happy with her. 

     I, on the other hand, started staying at Jaren's more often, or vice versa. Neither of us really minded, and we were all happy with our lives. Today was one of those days where I stayed over at Jaren's. We were spending the weekend together, and we came home late from the cinema that was downtown. 

     I woke up with Jaren's arm around my body, still sleeping contently next to me. I smiled softly at the sight. He laid next to me, the sun lightly kissing his face at just the right angle. It was aesthetically pleasing and if there were a camera within my reach it would've probably made the perfect instagram photo. But at the same time I wanted to be the only person to admire his perfection. And I was glad that I was. 

      A few minutes passed and I stroked his cheek gently, thinking back on how a few months ago I was with someone who I thought loved me, but in the end left me for nothing. I was with someone who gave me nothing when I gave him everything. And it hurt.

     But then I look at now, where I can tell that I'm happier, and I'm with someone who knows what I give and appreciates it while giving some of that love back. I smiled at the thought, and it was then when Jaren stirred softly. His eyes gently opened and met my own. He smiled as he muttered a quiet "good morning". His voice still tired and husky. 

     I chuckled softly, "good morning, J."

     He sat up and placed a gentle kiss onto my cheek, "sleep well?"

     I replied with a quick nod, "it was with you, so of course I did."

     He chuckled softly, "smooth, (Y/N)." 

     I giggled a bit and laid my head on his shoulder, "wanna go out for breakfast or stay in?"

     He contemplated the question for a moment, stroking my hand with his thumb gently, "I kinda wanna go out, get some air before I get to work for the day."

     I smiled, "alright then, I'll get ready then." I say, placing a quick peck on his lips before getting out of bed to get ready for the day. Nothing too much, just some leggings, an oversized hoodie, and some converse to top it off. 

---

      The both of us shared a quiet breakfast, talking about our careers, interests, and just things we shared in common. After we had finished we went for a brisk walk around town but eventually headed back to Jaren's place to actually do something productive today. 

      I spent a couple of hours hanging around and getting my stuff ready to go back to Raven and I's apartment. It was then when I got a text message from her with an invite.

best bitch

hey (y/n) would you and jaren be able to come over for lunch??

(y/n)

sure lemme ask.

     I quietly knocked on Jaren's door to see if he was recording or not, there was a quiet 'come in'. I opened the door and saw that he was editing a video. I walked over towards him.

      "Hey, Raven was asking if we could go over to my place for lunch? I know you have work to do so it's okay if you say no." I said calmly.

      He nodded his head, "no it's fine, actually. I can just edit in the car while you drive back, if that's okay?"

     I smiled brightly, "of course! I'll tell her that we'll be on our way."

     I quickly went into the bedroom to tell Raven that we would be over in a couple of hours. Doing so I grabbed all my stuff in my backpack and proceeded to bring it downstairs and put it in the car. By the time I came back inside Jaren was already downstairs with his backpack as well, with his laptop and everything else he needed. Soon the both of us piled into the car and we began our drive back down to my hometown. 

---

     Driving didn't seem like it could be tiring, but it was. After two hours of driving through an anxiety-filled highway, we finally made it to the apartment complex where Raven and I were living. Jaren had finished his editing not long before so we now had the whole day to ourselves. 

     We entered the building and took the elevator up to my apartment, walking down the hallway to find the correct number. Upon doing so I was prepared to open it up but was startled when I heard yelling inside. It was clearly Raven's voice but I didn't know who she was yelling at. The door made the noise muffled but it was still somewhat clear to hear what she was saying.

      "You have no right to be here so get the hell out!" She yelled, which brought confusion. The only person I knew was currently staying at the apartment was her girlfriend Avery, but I didn't know about anything that could cause her to go off like that. She was typically quiet, and never attacked or got angry at anyone unless absolutely necessary. 

     "Raven, calm down, who is he?" I heard another panicked voice, it was a girl's. But I recognized it, it was Avery's. So, if Raven wasn't yelling at Avery, then there must have been another person in the room. But who was 'he'? Unless...

     Jaren nudged my shoulder and broke my train of thought, looking at me worriedly, "what's that all about?" 

     "Believe me when I say I have no fucking clue." I replied, grabbing my keys and opening the door. Upon doing so the yelling stopped. As soon as I opened the door I suddenly realized why everyone was yelling.

      Raven directed her gaze towards me, Avery directly behind her, who was clearly distressed, and Raven who was clearly pissed. I looked towards the center of the room and felt a pit of disgust form.

     "Hello, Dakota." I stated plainly, I felt Jaren's arm wrap around mine protectively and Dakota's stare pour into my well-being. I guess good things don't last forever.

---

a/n

hello babes! i haven't updated in a bit and im sOrry. i've been feeling a little insecure lately and its just hittin' me pretty badly so i haven't felt the actual need to feel productive for the past couple of weeks. but i'm back now yee yee.

lets address some things.

1. im gonna focus on the fitz fic more than this one bc obvs smitty has a girlfriend and i still don't feel entirely up to touching the subject and tbh i feel more inspired with the other one than this one, but since this one is so deep in i might as well finish it than leave everyone else hanging.

2. i apologize if my update schedule is fucked. like i said these past few weeks have been just absolute shit for me and i just haven't been feeling right about everything that i've been doing. which includes writing. i feel better now, i just feel bad that i haven't been updating weekly like i had wanted to. but i just needed the time off and i want to focus on some other stuff too

that being said, i'm here now to torture you with cursed literature :)

love u babes

xoxo

stay frosty

-liza