19; trust issues

Five days had passed since Raven's disappearance. Five days of nonstop anxiety attacks, crying, endless phone calls from Avery, Raven's family, my mother, and the police - who at the moment were following a minor lead. It was hard to bare with everything that was going on. 

       Jaren was staying with me for the time being, he didn't feel like I should be alone in this situation. And quite frankly I was thankful for that, anymore time alone and I would've driven myself insane. I was told that if anything was to happen or they had found something, they would tell me immediately. But there were still no phone calls.

        I've had to separate myself completely from the phone just to stop myself from checking it every two minutes. I had unintentionally picked up bad habits too. Chewing on my nails, pulling out strands of hair, and it was honestly starting to get a little stressful. I didn't want the habits, but I didn't have anything else to consume my time with.

       Even Jaren tried helping, yet hardly anything worked. He would stay into the late hours of the morning when I didn't feel like getting out of bed, bringing his laptop in to watch movies together. And don't get me wrong, I appreciated the gesture, but I just didn't feel right. I was quiet. Quiet when normally I would be talking my life away to people who meant the world to me. But right now it felt as if the people closest to me were slowly drifting apart.

       Raven was missing, and deep inside I was terrified that through all of this anxiety I was pushing Jaren away. The thought burned into the core of my head until it was too painful to bare. Tears gently slipped out of my eyes and painted wet streaks down my cheek. At this point I had cried so much that my head hurt and my body was sick of the sight. Quiet sobs escaped my lips and I heard Jaren gently peer into the room and climb into the bed, wrapping his arms around me and soothing me softly with his touch and his voice.

       My sobs ceased and my tears stopped falling soon after, his presence proving to be of much comfort that I so desperately needed at that moment. I sniffled quietly as I turned to face him.

       "I'm sorry," I murmur, just barely over a gentle whisper.

       He looks at me slightly confused, but never dropping his caring yet worried expression. "Why are you sorry? You've done nothing wrong."

       I scoffed quietly, "it sure feels like I have. And you really don't have to do all of this for me." I say, as I look down a bit.

       He places his thumb and index finger just below my chin and lifts my head up gently to face him once more. "(Y/N), don't you ever be sorry for stuff you can't control. I know things right now are fucked up, but I'm supposed to be here for you in situations like this. I know how much Raven means to you and and I can't even believe what it must feel like for you. But what I'm trying to say is that I'm here for you. Always."

       His words managed to finally bring a smile on my face, a light tint of rose forming on the sides of my cheek.

       Jaren smiled as well, "there's that cute little smile."

       I felt my face flush lightly, Jaren placing a peck on my cheek not long after.

       "I'm sorry if I seem like I've been pushing you away recently and being really quiet. Like you said, it's just....really hard. Raven's like a sister to me and she and I literally grew up together. I don't know what I'm gonna do if I lose her." I vent, Jaren nods his head.

       "Everything's gonna be alright, okay?" he lulls, calming me down once more. I nod lightly and lean into his chest, needing the sense of comfort once again. I huff, wanting this entire endeavor to end once and for all. All I wanted was for my best friend to come home.

        Jaren rose from the bed and glanced at me, "well, since you're up, wanna eat something?" He asks.

       "Yeah, I could eat." I reply briskly, followed by him smiling and heading into the kitchen to attempt at making something. I chuckle at the thought and get out of bed, heading into the main room.

       Promptly, he manages to pull something together and get it ready within a few minutes. He places the finished product onto the counter and I take a seat on the stool by the island. However, my snack was soon cut short by Jaren's phone ringing from the other room. Immediately after my phone pings from a notification and we both dart to grab our phones.

       I glance at the message and my heart nearly skips a beat at the sight.

best bitch 🖤
i lived bitch

(y/n)
YOURE ALIVE HOLY SHIT

best bitch 🖤
fuckin BARELY

mom come pick me up im scared i don't wanna be here anymore.

i must've answered more questions at this damn police station than questions on every exam i've ever taken lmao

(y/n)
i am leaving right now.

best bitch 🖤
oh and pls bring snacks i am: hungry.

(y/n)
anything for u babe 😩♥️

       I let out a childish giggle and darted to the other room immediately to tell Jaren. Upon entering he had a bright smile on his face as he hung up on the phone, and I was only able to catch a quick "thank you, I'll tell her the good news" before he hung up.

       He turned to face me and he soon noticed my visible excitement. "I take it they told you?" He inquires.

       I let out a mild squeal as I ran up and hugged him tightly, gently sighing in relief and content, feeling a massive wave of anxiety being relieved off my shoulders. Jaren rubbed my back in comfort and content, before proceeding to kiss the top of my head.

       "I'll take that as a yes." He chuckles, soon pulling away.

       "God, you don't know how good I feel right now." I chirp, before calming down little by little. "Alright, now that that's over with, I'll get the car keys, you get the snacks. I'm gonna go hug my best friend and then never let go of her ever again. Or I'm also gonna yell at her. Both, maybe. Yeah I like both." I giggled, Jaren simply smiled, following the orders I had told him.

       A few minutes later we both climbed into the car as we headed to the police station to go pick up my Raven. Who I absolutely could not wait to yell at, yet at the same time, never bring closer.

---

a/n

hi im alive and still updating this book. tbh i probably should have thought the plot through better when i kidnapped Raven without having zero fuckin clue how to get her back lmao oops. so yeah have whatever the fuck this is i guess.

love u

stay frosty

xoxo

-liza