02

Chapter Two | Perfection

Golf is a really fucking stupid game.

Sure, it seemed like a good idea in theory: the great outdoors, the smell of freshly cut grass, the Zen-like peace and quiet. Lovely, all of it. I don't know my father insists on dragging me to this country club every Saturday, so we could play a game while he talked business with his company investors.

A part of me knows it's because he plans for me to take over the company in the future, and hopefully bringing me here to there's meetings will give me the insight I need for a smooth transition when it's time, but truthfully, the shit is boring. There's only so much I can hear about investments and numbers, before I want to throw myself in front of one of the moving golf carts that zoomed past the course.

However, the scenery here is always nice. It was a beautiful morning on the golf course, the sun was shining down on the various colors of green, the few animals that lived in the trees were just awakening to the warm sunlight touching their fur, warming them as they awoke.

At least they would if they hadn't scared shitless by the sound of crazed cackling, a golf cart tires skidding against the grass, and said grass being ripped from the ground. The cause of this noise and chaotic behavior? None other than Ryder Mckay, dressed in a light blue and purple golf outfit, including the light blue shorts that went to the lower thigh, I told him not to wear those and like always, Ryder didn't listen.

He swerved the golf cart up to me, the tires ripping apart the freshly cut green grass. "Liam," He greeted, winking his thunderstorm blue eyes at me playfully. "Can you believe they just let you use these things for free?"

"Be careful. If you wreck it that's another bill added to my father's membership." I informed him, tossing my belongings in his lap, before making my way over to the passenger side.

"Speaking of, where is your dad? I thought he'd be out here on the course with you." Ryder asked, putting my belongings in the back of the cart.

"He's somewhere discussing business with some investors. It's must be really important since he didn't ask me to come with him."

Ryder nodded, starting up the golf cart again, before reversing and driving along the small roads of the course. Summer here at Lakeside Country Club was suffocating – the heat was unbearable and stifling – and it settled thick. I wished I could have spent my summer somewhere else, enjoying my youth doing something that's more my interest like attending Fashion Week or traveling to Italy to indulge in endless amount of pastas like I planned on doing; summer was supposed to be about that after all, doing fun, mindless things that I would remember for the rest of my life.

But I was stuck here in at this stupid country club that should have been bulldozed years ago. It's ugly and outdated, a far cry from its former dazzling glory years, yet it was the only place that people like my father and his men could go to without being bombarded by the press.