15

Chapter Fifteen | Indigo

"Is this outfit a little too revealing for a senator?" I watched as my mother inspected her appearance in the full length mirror in front of her. Clad in a vintage black and white Chanel two piece, she studied her figure with a raised brow as her manicured hands roamed down her curves.

Penelope Claremont was drop dead gorgeous. Even at forty my mother still outshone any woman that dared to step in the same room as her. Five foot eleven, willowy and a face cut right from the pages of a Vogue magazine. But that's no surprise from the former supermodel turned political figure. Something radiated from within that rendered her irresistible to both genders. Men desired her and women courted her friendship.

People thought it was ridiculous when my mother announced she'd be running for senator — "A supermodel can't be a senator" the blogs would say over and over again, but what they fail to realize is that this supermodel graduated top of her class at Yale University. This supermodel had a degree in political science and a minor in biology. The press tried to dumb my mother down to be some trophy wife, but she proved them wrong and made a name for herself on her own.

Now when people hear Penelope Claremont it's no longer "the supermodel wife of Pierre Claremont", it's Penelope Claremont, the hottest damn senator there ever was.

"Mimi, be a dear and go fetch me the matching clutch from the closet." My mother snapped her fingers at Mimi, who politely nodded at her words before hurrying into the walk-in closet to fetch the clutch.

"How long is this charity event going to be?" I asked her, making my way over to my parent's large bed and taking a seat at the edge.

"Who knows? With the way your father gets when he's around his friends and has had a few drinks, we could be there till midnight."

I couldn't fight the sigh that dragged from my lips. I would've slammed myself onto the bed if it weren't for the simple fact that I had just got my hair freshly gelled and styled by Mimi, and I was wearing this expensive Armani suit that I couldn't bare to wrinkle. So instead, I just lean back against my arms and groan aloud.

Going to this charity event was the last thing I wanted to do tonight. After spending all day at school and then having to help with the play, I'm beyond exhausted. I just wanted to lay in my room for the rest of the day and ignore the outside world, but it seems that's never possible. After exposing myself and letting those theater geeks and Asher know more about me than they should, I just feel so defeated. I don't know why I felt the need to let them know those things about me. I've never told anyone that, not even Ryder.

That's why I had to get out of there immediately. Talking about my issues with my family only makes my throat dry and my palms sweaty. I wouldn't say it's a touchy subject, it's just something I prefer not to speak on, especially around people I don't even know. God, realizing that I said those things in front of Asher makes me want to throw my head through a wall. I already know he probably texted his cousins and told them all about how my little confession.