4. bj eyes

"So, what if, instead of thinking about solving your whole life, you just think about adding additional good things. One at a time. Just let your pile of good things grow."

As we made our way upstairs to his flat, I inspected my surroundings uneasily. The dim lighting only enhanced the fact that I was about to cross the threshold of a complete stranger's flat. I dipped my hand into the back pocket of my jeans and brushed my fingertips against the cold screen of my cell phone. It soothed my nerves a bit, knowing that I could always turn the device up and ask for help if anything goes wrong.

"Here we are." Lewis stopped abruptly, almost causing me to collide with him. I perked my head up to glare at the non-apologetic grin plastered across his face.

He gestured towards a dark brown colored door with a large number "9" attached on it. He fished out his keys from his pocket and unlocked the door swiftly.

Lewis seemed relieved once we were inside, tossing his keys carelessly onto the pile of coats that were lying messily on the ground. His shoulders relaxed as he gently ran his hand through his hair and smiled down at my fidgety self. "Sorry for the mess, we weren't expecting guests any time soon."

We? So he had flat mates; that was acceptable. I crossed my fingers behind my back, secretly hoping that they weren't a bunch of messy, boisterous guys.

I darted my eyes around the wide common area of his flat. It looked fresh with plain, cream-colored walls and hardwood floors. There were pictures hanging on the walls that I couldn't pick out properly from the entrance. I could only notice that they weren't framed but probably taped on the walls. The furniture were basic essential stuff like a red couch, two red armchairs, a flat screen and a small coffee table. There also were two green beanbag chairs before the white Victorian styled windows.

The kitchen area was separated from the rest of the flat with counters that displayed leftovers of some take out meals. As I scanned the room further I also noticed a couple of empty beer cans lying around here and there, a stack of unused condoms resting on the coffee table and a green boxer shorts crumpled up on the floor, next to the coffee table, which made me think that this is an all boys apartment.

"Make yourself at home," Lewis broke the silence with the attractive British accent of his, noticing that I've shifted not even the slightest bit from my spot.

My plain light brown eyes bolted up to meet his own charming hazel ones, only to see that he was smiling down at me shyly. I felt my heart warming involuntarily due to his adorable expression.

I gulped down my anxiety and reminded myself that acting before overthinking was the plan in the first place.

"Well," I started off, stretching my arms forward, hoping to seem at ease with standing at the doorway of a stranger's apartment. "Why were you supposed to arrive home before five?"

"Jaime's picking up Rosie from college today and he texted me that he forgot his keys, but apparently they aren't here yet."

Rosie? You have a female roommate? I didn't question further as I removed my sneakers and searched for my bag, only to remember we didn't collect our bags from the car. So I ordered Lewis to go and get them while I made us some coffee.

I searched through the two large cabinets and spotted the Starbucks filter coffee in the latter. I threw my frizzy hair up in a bun, not bothering to fix it just yet, as I needed a long shower anyways.

When Lewis got back with our bags, I was already perched atop a counter after pushing the leftover food aside, sipping my coffee. I smiled vibrantly at him and he grinned back at me.

After putting our bags down on the floor, Lewis walked into the kitchen in two large steps and pulled himself up on the counter beside me. I offered him my own cup of coffee and he took without hesitating.

"Yum," He grinned down at me, wrapping one arm around my shoulders after handing me the cup. "And here I was thinking that no one could ever make coffee better than myself."

"Don't be so full of yourself," I teased. Despite my worries, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy after all. But of course he had his flaws like everybody else did like being kind of cocky and probably a player. And a stranger... But considering his looks, I wouldn't judge him if he was to be a bit smug.

"Can I ask you something?" His voice was uncertain.

I looked at his face trying to figure out what he had on his mind before nodding solemnly.

"Why don't you turn on your phone Ayla?" He asked just before darting his hands up in the air in surrender. "No pressure here, of course. You can answer whenever you'd like birdie."

I chuckled and Lewis winked at me playfully. "My parents weren't very supportive of my decision, as expected. When I told them that I wouldn't be applying college this year my mom nearly fainted and my dad glared at me as if he wished he could knock me down right then and there."

He muttered something under his breath but I couldn't hear it properly. I was just about to ask him to repeat but he nodded for me to continue, so I did.

"There's more to the story of course but if I may put it through briefly, they weren't supportive of me neither morally nor financially. I doubt that they'll be worried but I didn't want them to jeopardize my decision so I decided to turn off my phone until I'm out of the country."

"Well, you are now," He shrugged as if he was totally cool with the confessions I've just made frankly. "Are you ready to face them?"

"Nope," I said before jumping off the countertop. I approached him to stand between his knees and look straight up at his face. "Wanna continue this conversation over some takeout dinner?" I asked sweetly, remembering his coffee proposal back at the Schiphol Airport.

His hazel eyes darkened as he smirked down at me mischievously. "Sure but on one condition birdie."

I chuckled slightly. He was fun to be around. " Yeah?"

"You'll quit looking up at me from that angle," Lewis stated.

"Why?"

He placed one hand behind my head, blocking me from backing away from him as he leaned in further. I could smell the appetizing cinnamon and lemon aroma of him.

"Because birdie," He breathed out teasingly. "You may not be aware but you're giving me the bj eyes."

My eyes widened in panic as I darted myself sharply away from him, almost tripping over my own feet. He just kept resting on the countertop, snickering at me mockingly. "Very funny!"

"Wasn't joking," Lewis stated bluntly, winking me before jumping off on his feet and striding towards the fridge. He looked over the magnets of various takeout places that were scattered across the refrigerator door and asked if I wanted anything specific for dinner.

Well, I've had something specific on my mind, just not anymore. I drew in a sharp breath trying to calm myself. How could he be so at ease with this situation? I was also a complete stranger to him as well as he was to me!

"Just let me know what you have in mind when you're able to form words again birdie," Lewis teased and I rolled my eyes.

"How about some sushi and red wine?" I suggested with regaining my confidence. Two can play this game, honey. I walked towards him and lifted my chin up to gaze at the curious expression now painting his face. "Or are you afraid that I'd look at you like that again?"

His eyes glistened as if I've said something amusing. "I'm afraid that you might wanna act that way this time." And the ball was on his court once again.

****

Hi guys, do you like it so far? Honestly, I'm having fun writing it but it'd be grate if you leave votes and recommend this book to your friends. Oh and btw, I've the end figured out in my mind don't worry I'll continue writing even if no one ever notices my story haha! Because I'm writing for myself in the first place... Thank you for reading. -Cina