22. butter puff pastry

"Your smile should be radiating like a dozen suns, your mascara should smear over the corners of your eyes since you should laugh so hard until your eyes water. You shouldn't be sulking as we don't have enough time to not have fun."

*

I came across with a widely grinning Lewis once I was out of his bedroom. My heart almost skipped a beat as I took in his charming aura in a pair of vintage looking, stoned jeans and a casual, black t-shirt that was wrapping around his body tightly enough to vaguely reveal his bulging muscles.

He lifted both of his hands up, displaying two paper bags that probably were filled up with groceries. "Hey," He said, flashing a crooked smile at me. His sand brown curls looked disheveled and his earlier five o'clock shadow now seemed a lot more scruffier. It was almost like he didn't get much of a sleep last night and I couldn't help myself but wonder what he had done after our brief quarrel yesterday evening.

"Hey," I replied back, my voice sounding a bit shakier than I would have preferred it to be. I grinned sheepishly before walking across the living room to collect the shopping bags from his hands. "Why are you at home? Don't you have to be working or something?" I asked, after taking the bags from him and walked over to the kitchen to place them on the counter.

I had preferred that he was working since I didn't want to see his attractive face today. I needed to maintain my anger towards him but I was pretty sure that all of my resentment would fly right out of the window after I got sucked into his charming personality.

Lewis removed his sneakers without bothering with unlacing them and walked over to the kitchen, practically tailing after me. He leaned his back against the kitchen counter, a crooked smile lingering on his lips, as I readily started off unpacking the brown paper bags, curious to see what he had bought.

I glanced up at him, only to notice him studying me without braking off his confident attitude. I raised my eyebrows quizzically before speaking up. "Have you lost your ability to talk or are you that captivated by my presence?"

His eyes lightened up with a mischievous gleam as he winked playfully. "The latter," He stated simply, causing my cheeks to heat up subconsciously. His smile widened as he noticed my blushed cheeks. "Red suits you, birdie."

I rolled my eyes as I lightly shoved his arm. "How nice of you to point out my blushed cheeks. Yes, I tend to get a bit excited when I'm beside you and you're throwing compliments around like confetti."

He pressed his lips together to suppress a laugh as an amused expression sprawled across his chiseled face. "I was actually referring to your red shirt but thanks for admitting that you're charmed by me."

After his words, I quickly took a brief glance at my outfit, remembering that I had thrown on the first thing that had come across with. Noticing that my blouse was as red as a glass of Bloody Mary, I bit down at my lower lip shyly. Shit.

I hid my face behind my hands shyly and peeped up at him from between my fingers. "Can we drop this?" I pleaded making him chuckle in his bewitching, husky tone of voice.

"As you wish, birdie," He accepted but the amused expression on his face pretty much indicated that he wasn't going to forget about this.

Deciding on letting the awkward moment gradually pass off, I shifted my attention back at the shopping bags. I dipped my hand in the bag once more to draw out a pack of buckwheat flour, a cardboard box of organic eggs, a small package of instant yeast, a cartoon of lactose free milk and a Bounty bar.

Lewis reached out to snatch the chocolate bar out of my hands and smirked. "Well, this is for me to enjoy later on," He stated before taking in a deep breath and speaking up once more, a little bit more hesitantly this time. "Jaime sent me home to get a grasp on some new, traditional Dutch desserts that we could add up to the menu, while I still have the opportunity to do so. And I thought that maybe these will help?"