11. the game

Hi guys, Cina speaking, I'm kinda busy with my finals these days so that's why I procrastinate on publishing new chapters. I'm sorry about that and don't worry this isn't a permanent state! I hope I can make it up to you with this lengthy chapter! Enjoy! xo

****

"Become friends with people who don't see the world from your perspective. Hang out with people whose first language isn't the same as yours. Get to know someone who'd drag you to places that you wouldn't even pass by. This is the only way to find your true self."

The party Lewis had mentioned earlier was nothing like I had expected. There were no red cups lying around, no liquor bottles scattered all around the kitchen isle no unpleasant smell of smoke lingering on the air. For starters, it wasn't even a house party as I assumed it would be.

My eyes widened with bewilderment and my jaw dropped to the floor as Lewis led me through a creaky front door of an old looking apartment into a wide courtyard.

The courtyard was lit up with countless lanterns, wavering leisurely in the light evening breeze. The plain concrete walls of the courtyard were decorated with golden and silver colored small sun figures, which were probably cut off a shimmery paper. As I darted my eyes around, scanning the area, fascinated by the decorations, I noticed that there was a mini, portable tiki bar placed in one corner with pre-prepared cocktails resting on it's counter. It probably was for decorative purposes only, as there also was a larger bar counter displayed in the middle of the courtyard.

The party was already in full swing when we arrived. People were scattered all around the area, sipping colorful cocktails while chatting leisurely or downing shots, cheering in ecstasy and hugging each other after each one. I couldn't help myself but felt a bit overdressed in my shorts and oversized T-shirt that I've tied its hem into a knot, as everyone else were rocking their best beachwear. One of this year's hit songs was blasting out from the huge speakers, which were placed on the both sides of the bar counter, immediately stirring me to excitement.

This was a dazzling welcome summer party.

"This is so cool!" I exclaimed, throwing my head back to stare up into Lewis's hazel eyes. "I've never been to an outdoor party or a welcoming summer party before. Thanks for bringing me here, stranger!"

He chuckled slightly, an alluring, husky sound leaving his lips. "Fun fact, before we head in," he added, glancing down at me. He seemed rather amused as he flashed me a crooked smile. "Remember I offered to crash a party? Well, we're literally doing that."

"Whoa, say again," I said, hesitating at the entrance. I wasn't sure whether I was comfortable with attending a party that I wasn't welcomed.

"Lewis fucking Hawthorne!" I heard someone shout and tore my eyes off Lewis's face to see to whom it belonged.

However, all I could spot was a silver and brown colored blur as two girls practically hurled themselves on Lewis, pushing me aside and almost knocking him over onto the floor. 

"How come you're back from Amsterdam?" Shouted one of the girls as the other one wrapped her arms around Lewis's neck, jumping up and down. "We'd have definitely invited you if we knew you were back in town!"

"Yet, Jaime had to tip me off," Lewis mocked, hugging the girl back.

I crossed my arms across my chest, eyeing the girls in a judging manner. The girl, whose arms were practically strangling Lewis, had chestnut colored curls rimming her face. She had the sharpest jawline that I had ever seen and her catchy green eyes were gleaming like two large emeralds on her suntanned skin. The other girl though, was just the complete opposite of her. She had long, straight, silver colored hair, which seemed natural, yet her darker roots gave her away. She had a heart shaped face with slightly chubby cheeks and a very fair complexion.