17. the perfect medicine

Not enough Lewis, someone texted me. Oh, just wait for a couple of chapters and then we talk, I replied back.
Hope you enjoy it!

*

"If not with me, you should be with someone who'll make you laugh carelessly, who'll support you through your fears and bad dreams, who'll make a fool of himself just to place a smile upon your pretty face."

*

"Isn't it inappropriate to talk behind his back?" Martin questioned as I nodded in agreement, attempting to hide my undeniable curiosity with a laid-back expression sprawled across my face. I gingerly took a sip of my steaming coffee and brushed the tip of my tongue across my lower lip, peeping at Irene and waiting for her answer.

Her wide eyes were glistening so vividly as if she was seeing right through me, reading my suppressed thoughts like an open book. She put her curly, dark colored hair up in a loose bun before speaking up, ignoring her boyfriend's remark on moral values.

"I've known Lewis since our freshman year in college. I know that his hometown is Paignton, you know, on the coast of Tor Bay. I know that he likes to eat scrambled eggs in the morning, yet he always used to get up late and miss out on breakfast. I know how much he hates sleeping with someone lying beside him and as much as I can recall, I also know his hatred towards bunk beds." She trailed off for a brief second, smiling down at her hands that were cupping the coffee mug. "But I'm not quite the right person to fill you in on his personal life."

I leaned back against my chair and waited for her to continue patiently, however begrudgingly. I couldn't put my finger on the reason of the slightly resentful feeling that was expanding in my chest, yet it was undeniably present.

I imagined a few years younger Lewis heading out of his dorm room, his sand brown curls still damp from his earlier shower, wearing nothing but a pair of washed-out sweatpants that hung loose on his hips. I would never admit it to anyone but that free and easy image of him made my heart flutter with a subtle feeling of warmness.

I heard Irene giggling as her voice pulled me out of my reverie. "You're picturing him," She pointed out, having my cheeks flush subconsciously. "That's okay, every girl does it at one point in their lives."

"Hey," Martin protested, scrunching up his face and frowning. "I'm right here beside you."

Irene winked playfully at him before snuggling up to his body. "Anyway, Lewis is a charming yet pretty confusing dude. He keeps this notebook that he doesn't let anybody peep under its cardboard lid. I bet it's hidden somewhere around his flat."

"He doesn't let anybody skim through it, except of Rosie, I assume." I stated and darted my eyes up towards the ceiling with a snort, trying not to be intrigued by the presence of the untouchable notebook that was lying somewhere around Lewis's flat, after Irene nodded in agreement. "She kind of hates me for no reason."

Irene chuckled reluctantly. "Yeah, she pretty much hates everybody who somehow gets involved in Lewis's life. I used to believe that she had a crush on him but considering that she has been with Elliot for a significant amount of time now, I'm beginning to think that she sees herself as Lewis's guardian angel."

I sighed in desperation, as I didn't know how to have Rosie like me. I pushed aside my half empty cup of coffee on the table and rose to my feet. "Well, I'm enjoying your company quite a lot, but I'd better get going."

"Oh, just wait for a second," Irene ordered as she retreated from Martin's embrace and jumped onto her feet eagerly, rushing out of the kitchen. "I'm going to prescribe the perfect medicine to you, that will have Rosie fall head over heels for you."