16. Lewis 101

"I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you, feel things that you've never felt before. I hope you live a life you're proud of. And if you ever feel like you're in the wrong path, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

*

I was feeling a little anxious as I pulled up to the driveway of Irene and Rachel's apartment and climbed down the bike. After considering whether I should leave it outside of the apartment or bring it inside to the courtyard with me, I decided on hanging onto it just incase someone was feeling like stealing a bicycle.

I pushed open the rusty front door and it easily gave way to me with a shrill creak. Once I propped the bicycle against the grey, concrete wall of the building, I darted my eyes around to take in my surroundings.

It was obvious that a party was held in here just a short while ago. There were cocktail glasses, empty cigarette packs, remains of burst balloons and shredded pieces of shiny decorations scattered all around the wide courtyard. People were madly raging here last night.

As I made my way over to the front door of the apartment, treading on a few cigarette stubs, I realized that I hadn't asked Lewis what the flat number was. Luckily, a board that the names of the residents were displayed, was attached to the front door and I skimmed through the names until I finally spotted Irene Mateos & Rachel Rushton, 11. I rose on my tiptoes to reach up and press the buzzer. Almost immediately, with a sharp click sound, the door unlocked.

When I finally made my way up to the flat number eleven, the door was already open and a dark haired guy with a glowing olive skin was standing at the threshold, leaning against the door frame leisurely. He crossed his arms across his bare chest as I approached the entrance and he asked something in a foreign language.

I smiled shyly as I fiddled with the hem of Lewis's shirt that I was still wearing. "I'm sorry I can't understand you as I don't speak your language. But I'm Ayla, from last night, and I can't seem to find my cell phone." I said at once, not sparing any second to take a breath. He was slightly intimidating with his rugged look, clenched jaw and his shirtless chest. I took a sharp breath before continuing. "Maybe I've left it at the party?"

His dark eyes bored into mine for a couple of seconds, which lasted as long as a lifetime, before turning his head back over his shoulder and calling. "Irene! There's a miniature version of a girl at the door, asking for her phone!"

My eyes widened in disbelief as my mind processed what he had just referred to me as. Miniature version of a girl? I pressed my lips together, in order to contain myself from snapping back at him. He moved aside, letting me pass through after Irene's muffled voice reached into our ears. I brushed past him and stomped off to the small kitchen, where Irene was standing across the stove, humming the lyrics of a catchy song.

"Your friend is rude," I stated as I entered the kitchen and Irene swiftly turned around on her heels to beam back at me. She dropped the wooden spatula that she was holding, into the pan, before extending both of her arms out and walking over to me to lock me in a warm embrace.

"Good morning Ayla!" She chirped animatedly before breaking out of or hug and placing her hands on both of my shoulders instead. She backed off slightly to look me over with an appraising eye. Her lips curled up into a teasing smirk as she gestured for me to sit down. "You would eat with us, wouldn't you? We were just about to treat ourselves to some freshly baked pancakes."

I heard my stomach growl with the word pancakes and chuckled lightly. "I'd love to, but I doubt that your friend would be happy about this."