A Drowsy Team

In the girls' dorm room, the girls were sound asleep with not one peep as they lied under the covers. Each with their own bed, they all slept on the top bunks with their bags on the bottom ones, clothes sprawled everywhere on the bottom beds. Julie was completely under the blankets without a sound. Connie lied on her side, arm outside of the cover with the blanket pulled loosely to her chin. Elliott lied on her stomach, foot hanging off the side of the bed as she snored from being so tired.

In the boys' dorm, Portman and Fulton were both sound asleep in their smaller room for two. Both of them passed out and sleeping like babies, they had blankets and pillows on the floor as they were half off the bed. In the second boys' room, Luis slept peacefully above Dwayne's bed, where Dwayne snored on his back with his hands on his stomach, no whipping cream on his face this time. Goldberg turned over in his bed, his blanket falling on the wooden floor covered in shoes and hats. Ken's arm was above his head with the other on his stomach and his knees up as the blanket came up to his chin.

In the final boys' dorm, there was snoring throughout the entire room, you'd think an elephant lived there. Averman was asleep by the wall and was falling into the small crack between the mattress and wall. Beneath him, Guy no longer laid on his pillow or at the foot of the bed, but halfway down the bed with his feet perched on the top of the foot board. The bunk against the wall across the room by the window, Jesse snored loudly with his arms under the pillow and his face snug tightly into the soft pillow. Above him, Adam slept in a curled ball, being cold by the window, he didn't have any more layers to throw on over top of his pants and hoodie, or his comforter that fell over his head.

The only bunk bed set sticking out from the wall between the other two sets were the second and third loudest sleepers. Garrett's head fell to the side and off his pillow as he turned and his arm fell off the side, hanging below the bed. Drool dried up on his pillow and face, he was out cold for the rest of the night and until tomorrow afternoon. Charlie slept on his stomach with an arm under his pillow as the other hung off the same side of the bed as Garrett's, he snored and didn't even know it, he was so tired, he didn't know if he'd wake up tomorrow.

As morning came, Elliott sleepily got up and slid off the side of her bed. Stepping on the ground, she ran into her bedside table and groaned in pain, holding her foot as she fell on the bottom bed of her bunk. Scanning around with the brief light given, she found some sweatpants and pulled them on over her bedtime shorts. Grabbing her Letterman jacket from her hockey team back in boulder sister, she pulled it over top of her form fitting black tank top.

Before leaving, she couldn't find her shoes and decided on not wearing any as she grabbed her water bottle and going to fill it up downstairs at the water fountains because they don't have on the floors, which she found stupid.

Getting downstairs, it was broad daylight and she cringed at the light, seeing other hockey teams already downstairs talking, laughing, or headed to their next games or practices. With it being almost eleven in the morning, class was going to start in a half hour after everyone had eaten. She knew that most of the boys were bound to be awake and eating lunch, while Connie and Julie were passed out cold in their room still.

Downstairs, filling up her water, she entered the cafeteria and walked over to grab some juice, feeling hungry, she was too tired to eat. "Yo, Ellie!" One of the boys called over as she stood at the counter, sipping on her apple juice as she held up the line. Someone behind her told her to move and she walked over to the large table.

Arriving, Averman, Luis, and Fulton's heads were on the table as they were asleep. Lucky their faces weren't in their food, that'd be awful. Jesse's eyes were shut as his head bobbed up and down. Wide awake, Portman was digging through his food annoyed. Dwayne, Charlie, and Guy smiled to Ellie as she took her seat next to a sleeping Averman. Setting her juice there, she rubbed her hands on her thighs, warming them up.

"Gosh, it's cold down here." She remarked with a yawn.

"We're tired, that's why it's cold." Guy told her, drinking something hot. Thinking, Ellie felt like she should've gotten something hot to keep her awake as the drink burned her taste buds and throat.

Charlie set his fork down. "Garrett sure does have some guts." He told her.

She nodded, knowing how much those words of her brother's were bottled up in his system. They were bound to explode and shoot out like they did, she knew it was coming. "Yeah, frustration can get the best of him sometimes. Happened ever since we were real young." She explained.

They nodded. Dwayne stood up, tipping his hat as he walked off with his tray and emptied it, heading upstairs to his dorm. The others were either upstairs asleep or getting dressed. Adam was at the showers waking up, which some of his teammates now think they should do as well. "Garrett told us a little bit about you, but not much. What're you like?" Charlie asked her.

"Yeah," Guy added, wanting to know his teammate better. "What are you like?"

"Obviously a looker." Dean piped up, not looking at them as he ate quietly.

She turned and looked at him. "Excuse me?"

"Can't take a compliment?" He asked her, grabbing his tray and pushing his seat out. She looked up and watched him, shaking her head lightly. "Feisty, aren't cha?" He winked, just to annoy her. He sure did get a rise out of her.

Guy and Charlie kept quiet, pretending they didn't hear anything as they drank their beverages quietly. "So, guess he named a personality trait?" Guy asked, being a little sarcastic like.

She smiled with a chuckle. "Depends which one."

"Both." Charlie shrugged, setting his cup down.

"Anyways, what's that talk about the Ducks? Was Coach talking about the Anaheim Ducks?" She asked them, getting comfortable in her seat as Averman's head fell off his arm, hitting the table. She wondered if he'd be all right after that, but wasn't too concerned.

"We're the Ducks. Back in Peewees were the worst hockey team you could think of. Before Coach Bombay came, of course, after he came, we all got used to each other." Guy started.

Charlie nodded. "Yeah, he realized we could be more and started training us to be actual hockey players. Then he gave us the name of the Ducks instead of District-5."

She laughed, remembering those stupid numbers and districts that had split the twin cities. "Why're you laughing?"

"You used to play for District-5? Man, they used to suck back when I was seven and eight years old. I'm glad I wouldn't of played for them." She replied.

The boys grew curious, as they were getting to know her a little bit, they were really confused with all this. She was from Boulder City, Nevada, not Minneapolis or even Minnesota. How did she know all that? "How did you know about that?" Charlie asked, holding his cup as Guy nodded, wanting to know as well.

"I've said too much." She spoke, realizing what she just did. Standing up, she picked up her cup of juice and water bottle. "Is Garrett awake?"

They shook their heads and she walked off. Guy and Charlie looked at one another. "Weird, Garrett did the same thing when we questioned his knowledge of the Hawks back in Peewees." Guy spoke.

Charlie nodded with squinted focused eyes. "Yeah, there's definitely something they're not telling us. No one knows that much about Minneapolis without living there."

"We gotta get someone they trust to talk to them."

"Like who?"

"I don't know." Guy shrugged. "You seem like the best bet."

Charlie shook his head. "Not at this point in time. The team's a mess." He spoke, getting up as the two started waking up all their sleeping team members so they could head upstairs and get ready for class. Guy yawned as he tapped Averman and Luis's shoulders.