I'd Like To Help

It was after practice and the twins had missed out on supper in order to figure out their new play. With a medium, now portable, white board in the middle of the rink, the twins lied on their stomachs on the ice, drawing down lines and pondering how to try and keep their play while changing it up a little bit. No one else was here or had been by in about two hours, the twins were starving, but they were both into this and knew they had to do something. They had enough gimmicks for a few goals, but not only several could be used once or twice.

Garrett sighed, blowing his hair out of his face as his helmet sat on the top of his head, weighing it down. Elliott was smart and had set her helmet beside her as she drew some lines and Rhett shook his head. "No, that's not going to work. You see, here were skating through the middle."

Elliott became frustrated with drawing, erasing, then drawing and erasing as they continued with that process. "I know we can't go through the middle, it's a huge puck stealer." She told him.

Garrett asked for the dry erase marker and she handed it to him. He took the drawn lines and made into dot ones, indicating that was the old line. The new lines were going to be solid black instead of pointed black. Drawing the new lines, Ellie watched patiently, growing tired and hungry, as did her brother.

He brought the board back in the middle of the two of them as they laid on the ice, being a little cold and their sweaty bodies didn't help them either. "We're too far with the crowd...What if we cross earlier and stay on our sides. Instead of me shooting, you'll shoot and I'll bring the puck up?" She asked.

He nodded side to side. "That could work because they'd be gunning you once I have the puck, thinking you're going to shoot, but instead it'd be me."

She nodded, liking their idea now. "Why didn't we come up with  that earlier?" She asked getting up. Bringing her arm down, she helped pull her brother off the ice with a smile as he 'faked' getting up. Which caused it to be harder for her pull him up.

On the ice at the halfway mark, they stood on their supposed sides. Elliott stood with the puck on the left side, pulling the cage of her helmet down, Garrett nodded, indicating he was ready when she was. She pulled forward and skated alongside the boards, as they approached the blue line, they got ready to cross just after it.

As they went to cross, the two had ran into each other, losing the puck and failed. They were so used to doing this on their other sides, that getting their feet to move the other way kinda failed and will take some time. Ellie groaned, lying on the ice on top of her brother, who had let his head fall back against the ice inside his helmet, her stared at the ceiling.

"This is going to take a while." Garrett groaned.

"Definitely." Ellie agreed, placing her hands on her brother's jersey, pushing herself up off his chest as he groaned from her pushing down on his chest. She stood up and brought her hands to her hips, leaving her brother and stick on the ice.

She waited for him to get up and then grabbed her stick and the puck, skating back down the half mark. On her side once again, she got ready to go and so did her brother. Skating alongside the boards again, she passed the blue line and they went to cross, hitting one another and falling to the ice. They didn't his head on, but had clipped shoulders roughly as they spun and fell to the ground.

On the ice, Bombay stood behind the the glass boards watching the Caldwell siblings. He knew they had great potential constant motivation and efforts, but he knew that the two were in need of help. They were going at the right time for the cross over, Ellie needed to start before Garrett did, but neither of them had told one another. Garrett didn't show Ellie how to start off the cross over with the puck and Ellie didn't show Garrett how to end the cross over with a shot.

Bombay clapped his hands, indicating he was there. Garrett rolled over on his stomach, using his arms to hold him up as he stared with a horrified stare over to the sound, not sure who it was. He was afraid they were going to be in trouble or something for being at the rink. Ellie brought herself to her knees and sat on her knee, scanning the rink for someone. Her eyes stopped when she noticed Bombay there.

He stepped on to the ice and Garrett brought his head down, bowing as he didn't want Bombay here. He wasn't ready to face him, but Ellie sure was. She was wanting to find a perfect time to talk to Bombay alone and apologize for her actions and explain the reasoning for her and Garrett's out of the sort behaviors lately, but mainly Garrett's. She wanted to try and make a relationship between her and her father before it was too late, after seeing the files, she had everything she needed.

"Want some help?" He asked, stopping at center ice where Garrett had left his head on the ice. Elliott stood up and looked over at her brother as Bombay looked down at their white board, wondering where they got it from and what they had drew. "Still figuring out your play?"

Elliott nodded. "Yeah, we keep hitting each other."

"I'd like to help," He spoke and looked over at Garrett. "Would do ya say, GT?"

Garrett looked up, hearing the name he hadn't heard in years. Getting up slowly, he stared angrily at his skates. "Fine, but don't call me that." He gave him.

Bombay nodded and picked up the board off the ice. "All right, place like you would." He spoke, walking backwards towards the net. He stopped in front of the net and placed the board behind him so he could look at when he needed to. Turning back, he rubbed his hands together and looked at them. "All right, so, here's the short and simple. Elliott, you are taking Garrett's spot and Garrett, you are taking Elliott's spot."

"Yeah, so?" Garrett spoke with a tone.

"As I was saying, Garrett have you explained to Elliott how you cross over? Do you cross over before or after she starts?"

He shrugged. "After she starts, that way we don't crash."

"All right, now try it again. This time, Elliott wait until you see Garrett start turning to cross." He spoke up. The two nodded and Ellie kicked the puck forward with her skate and headed down the ice, as she started seeing Garrett turning, she turned after him. Keeping the puck with her, they still had clipped one another and about fell, but regained their balance.

Bombay sighed lightly. "Try again. We'll stay all night if we have to."

At the doors to enter the rink, some of the boys and the two girls stood by watching. Connie and Julie stood in front, not because they were shorter, but they claimed that they were girls and had the right before the boys did. So, with their hands on the glass, they watched the twins and Bombay work on their play.

"All right, that's it!" Bombay cheered them on. "Keep going, Garrett. And...Now, Elliott, shoot off the boards."

Elliott took her shot at the boards and didn't have the right angle, hitting it behind the net where it came and hit the back of the net, not rebounding the way it was supposed to. It was supposed to rebound to the other side of the net to Garrett, where he could shoot. "It's all right, Elliott." Bombay clapped, walking over to her.

Garrett pulled his helmet off, bringing his sweaty hair back. "I gotta admit, he's not bad looking." Connie admitted.

"Nope, he's got nice hair." Julie added.

"Oh come on, so do we." Averman spoke up. Connie and Julie turned, laughing while shaking their heads.

"No." They spoke in unison.

Garrett watched as Bombay had taken Ellie's stick and showed her how to come up and when to shoot at the right time. Garrett turned slightly, noticing something from the corner of his eye, but missed it and turned back to his sister and coach. "You'll go in like this," He show her. "And then bring the puck forward and an angle, same angle you'd receive it from Garrett."

"Oh, so the angles don't change?" She asked.

"Exactly." He nodded with a smile. He shot the puck where Ellie would stand and it reached Garrett, who lifted his stick and swung at the net, scoring. "See, now we just need to do it a few more times."

The twins nodded and tried it again as Bombay watched them from center ice. He brought a hand to his chin, watching the way Garrett moved and skated, and then the way Elliott moved and skated. He was proud to see how they were doing and that they were willing to change up their play last minute for the team.