prologue

•••

Ivy walked down the corridor to the welcoming feast, shoving her way through the crowd. Everyone was walking the same way at once, so it was rather chaotic. She muttered 'excuse me' and 'sorry' as she pushed everyone out of her way.

As the rowdy teenagers pushed each other around, she glanced to the side and saw them. The Marauders. She saw their group as troublemakers, like most people. She thought they were a bit rude, honestly, but she tried not to be judgmental most of the time. She wanted new friends. Ones that didn't only care about grades like the tightly knit Ravenclaw kids she studied with every once in a while.

James Potter led the group, a smirk plastered on his face, a hand running through his hair. He pushed up his glasses and scanned the halls for Lily Evans, his dream girl. Lily hated him, and plenty of girls in Hogwarts would cut off their arm to be with James and he was stuck on this one girl.

Sirius Black followed behind him, striding with confidence as the ladies swooned. Ivy rolled her eyes. Yeah, he was attractive, but it wasn't anything to be impressed about. Besides, he wasn't looking for a serious relationship, so the ladies needed to get over themselves. His fan club was obsessed with him.

Beside him, Remus Lupin. He had a book in his hand, a small smile playing on his lips as he looked around the castle. Lanky and slightly awkward, his brown eyes filled with joy as he walked in his favorite place. It seemed like he was a good balance to the boisterous group.

Then, Peter Pettigrew. He was the shortest out of the group. He was the encouragement the group needed to successfully manage their pranks and the popularity that surrounded them.

Ivy's dark blue eyes scanned the halls for a certain blonde Gryffindor. Eventually, Ivy spotted her and shoved everyone out of the way to say hello.

"Hey!" Marlene exclaimed once Ivy caught up with her. Ivy really liked Marlene. She brought fun into her life of studying. She was a joy to be around, and Ivy supposed she could learn to be a bit more adventurous from her.

"Hello." Ivy breathed out, her short legs barely keeping up with Marlene's rather long ones.

"Sit at my table, please. I want to talk too you about our summer!" Marlene replied, running a hand through her wavy blonde locks. Marlene was really pretty. Ivy had a bit of self-confidence somewhere, but it was nowhere near as strong as hers.

Ivy cringed. "You know Mcgonagall's gonna yell at me."

"It'll be fine. If she does, just walk to the smart people table," Marlene said with a smirk, walking much faster than the short brunette next to her.

Ivy smiled as she rolled her eyes, walking as fast as she could. Marlene was a good few inches taller than Ivy. Most people were, but she could still name some who weren't.

They walked in the great hall. Ivy sighed as she looked up to the ceiling, her favorite part of the Great Hall. She walked with Marlene and plopped down at the Gryffindor table.

"So far, so good," Ivy muttered as she looked around for any signs of McGonagall. Her blue and bronze robes definitely stood out in the sea of red and gold.

"We are taking all the same classes, but we might be organized with different houses," Marlene said as they waited for the feast to start.