one

•••

        "I'm gonna be late, I'm gonna be late..."

Ivy threw on her Hogwarts robes and her shoes. She hated first days, like most people. The uncertainty of everything made her slightly nauseous. Her roommates never seemed as frazzled, but they were always elegant as ever.

        Ivy walked to her bathroom and put on chapstick and mascara. She brushed her hair and looked in the mirror. With a small nod, she walked out of her dorm and into the common room.

Ivy walked down all the stairs and into the great hall, where breakfast was being served. Choosing somewhere to sit also stressed her out; once it's chosen, it's hard to change it, and she is friends with her roommates, but they're all closer with each other than they are with her. And she feels like the ugly duckling compared to the three of them.

She sat down and grabbed herself some breakfast. Everyone else laughed with their friends, excited about the first day. She ended up sitting next to her roommates, as she expected. They're friends, but distant ones. Most people assumed Ivy had more interest in studying than human relationships.

Flitwick was passing out their timetables. Ivy immediately looked down at hers and saw what her first class was. Transfiguration, with the Gryffindors.

        She walked into the classroom and was surprised that everyone else was already seated. The tables were separated into groups of five.

        There was one table left. It contained the Marauders with one empty seat. She made eye contact with James. She motioned to the chair as if to ask if she could sit there. She didn't know what she would do if he said no. He nodded.

        Ivy felt a rush of excitement as she sat down next to Remus Lupin.

        "Top of the morning. I'm Sirius Black," Sirius said in a really bad Irish accent. Remus looked at him in bewilderment, laughing. "You're Ivy, correct?"

She nodded. "I am."

        "And you're in Ravenclaw?"

        "Yes," Ivy said. Why that wouldn't be obvious by her bronze and blue robes, she did not know.

        The others introduced themselves. James couldn't resist mentioning Lily.

         "You're friends with Marlene, right?" James asked. It was obvious there was an ulterior motive to this conversation. Ivy nodded.

          "Yes."

          "...Are you friends with Lily Evans by any chance?"

         "Not in the slightest," Ivy said. "I mean, she's fine I suppose, but I've barely ever talked to her."

          "...Okay," James said. It was obviously not the answer he wanted to hear.

        Class began. Ivy enjoyed Transfiguration. It definitely wasn't her favorite, but she enjoyed it more than Charms.

        Ivy noticed that Remus was struggling to do the spell that was assigned. She sighed and decided to help him timidly.

        "Try waving your wand like this," Ivy said, demonstrating it once she got his attention. Remus furrowed his eyebrows and tried what she had said. It worked, obviously.

        "Huh, you're smart," Sirius said with a nod as Ivy winked.

"I mean, it's kind of all I'm good at," She said. They laughed a bit as they continued the spell McGonagall had assigned.