fourteen

•••

Ivy walked into her career advice session with Professor Flitwick and sat down. He smiled at her as she looked around the room.

"Ivy, are there any jobs you have your eye on?" Flitwick said as he looked at her grades. Ivy shrugged.

"I'd like to become a healer."

"Ah, a healer! A difficult job, but worth the work. Your grades are fantastic, I think you'll be able to pursue your dream! The classes you'll need are Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. You'll be taking one more class than most of your friends, which is fine, I'm sure you're ready for it. You need an E or higher in those five classes. Although, a few classes might drop down to an A, depending on how well everyone does." Professor Flitwick said. Ivy felt tense up when he mentioned Charms. She really didn't want to take that, even if it was inevitable for any stable job. She smiled and thanked him, walking out of Flitwick's office and back into Herbology.

        Careers advice didn't go as well for Remus, as he expected. McGonagall told him that it would be hard to get a good job because he's a werewolf and most places don't allow employees with his condition. Remus nodded and smiled, but was very hurt. He knew what was going to happen, but he wasn't ready to hear it.

        "Ivy!" James said as he walked up to the short brunette, who was studying in the Courtyard. She looked up and smiled. "Remus is in a bad mood from careers advice. I'm sure you know why. Sirius, Peter, and I have already tried to comfort him, but he is still in a bad mood. So I was thinking, you should comfort him!"

        "I don't know where he is," Ivy said as she looked back down at her book.

        James groaned and snatched the book from her hands. He held it up high where Ivy couldn't reach. She tried her best to grab it, but it was no use. It seemed like James would use every chance he got to rub in the fact Ivy was short. Especially since James had hit a recent growth spurt.

        "Stop studying so much! O.W.L.'s are still three weeks away!" James shouted as Ivy gave up and sat back down.

        "Actually, two weeks and three days away! That's not even that long!" Ivy shouted as he held her book in his hands. "But okay, I'll talk to Remus. Where is he?"

"He's in our dorm moping, I'll go get him. What do you plan on doing?" James said as Ivy led him to the Great Hall, where she grabbed a set of Wizards Chess.

"He's played before, right?"

"Yeah. How good are you?"

"Fantastic. I'm literally amazing." Ivy said proudly as James looked at her with wide eyes.

"Wow. I thought I'd never hear Ivy Scott be arrogant," James said as Ivy scoffed.

        "I'm not being arrogant... Well, maybe a bit, but that's beside the point," Ivy said hastily, setting up the game, "I just want to have a game with him! It will be fun."

"Well, I'm awesome at Wizards Chess. Play me," James said as he sat down in front of her.

It didn't take very long for Ivy to beat James. Every time one of her pieces destroyed his, he would swear loudly or groan, until there were none of his pieces left.

"What?! There's no way Remus is gonna beat you, I've beaten Remus a lot," James said as Ivy shrugged with a smug smile.

"It'll still be fun. Go fetch him and the two other idiots."