eight

•••

        Christmas break was normal, as most Christmas breaks go. She got her presents from the four boys and Marlene, who all got her a book and some candy. Marlene got her some makeup and Remus picked out the best book.

Of course, she was interrogated by her parents about school work and other things.

"How are you doing in school?"

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Have you been studying?"

"Have you been getting good grades?"

"Have you made any new friends?"

"I'm doing pretty good in school. I don't have a boyfriend, I've been studying every night, I've been getting good grades, and yes, I have made a few new friends. I'm also on the quidditch team."

        "Okay. Don't let that get in the way of your grades," Ivy's mother said simply as Ivy received a pointed stare from her. Hogwarts was like a safe place from her parents, they couldn't interrogate her when she was miles away from them. Summer was probably her least favorite time of the year, which was usually most kids favorite. Ivy couldn't wait to go back.

•••

        Ivy walked into the great hall with the rest of the fifth years, walking to the blue and bronze table. She sat where she usually sat every morning, waiting for Dumbledore to step up and give his usual speech.

        She tucked a piece of wavy brown hair behind her ear and watched Remus from afar as he talked to his friends, a small smile on his face. Ivy couldn't figure out if she had a crush on him or if she was so deprived of attention and validation, that she would settle for almost anyone. She still wondered about his scars. What were they from? She was set against asking, because that was rude. She decided to infer that he got into some type of accident.

        Dumbledore stepped up on the podium and waited for everyone to quiet down, smiling at all of them.

        "Welcome back to hogwarts! I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas break. We shall feast!" Dumbledore said, clapping his hands as food arrived on the table. Ivy grabbed an apple and some chicken, with her glass of pumpkin juice.

        Remus looked at Ivy. It made him sad that once she found out his secret, she wouldn't talk to him anymore. Knowing Ivy, she is probably going to find out soon. She occasionally talked to the people around her, laughing and smiling but quickly falling silent once again.

        "You know, Ivy is going to eventually find out," Peter said as if he could read Remus's mind.

        "I know. I'm scared," Remus said as Sirius scoffed.

        "Don't be. If Ivy doesn't like you because of something you can't control, then she doesn't deserve you."

        "Yes, but I want her to like me! As friends or as more than friends, I really don't care at this point!" Remus said, his cheeks turning slightly pink.

        "Is little Remus catching feelings?" James said, Remus burying his face in his hands and groaning.

"No! I just— I mean— she's pretty and nice! And I guess wouldn't mind dating her," Remus said, mumbling the last sentence.

"I'm sure she feels the same way," Peter said, nodding his head as they all stared at Ivy.

•••

        "Remus!" Ivy said fast and in a high pitched voice, barreling towards him. It was funny.

        "Ivy!" Remus said, imitating her. He was walking with Sirius, James, and Peter. She hit him on the arm gently, trying not to cause any real pain. He dramatically grabbed his arm, pretending he was actually hurt.

She was about to ask something, but got distracted as she looked at his sick face.

"I know, I know, I look sick," Remus said, almost reading her mind. The full moon was tomorrow, and Remus was in an averagely good mood, despite him feeling horrible.

"I swear, you get sick once a month," Ivy said, smiling and rolling her eyes as all four boys looked at each other. Sirius was looking between the three boys like they were cameras, making a shocked face at each one as Ivy looked at the snowy weather. He stopped as soon as she looked back, smiling as if nothing was wrong.

Remus was petrified. She was putting the pieces together. He cleared his throat, trying to compose himself as she talked to him.

"I was just wondering, why did you skip lunch?" Ivy said, getting back to the original question she was going to ask.

        "I wanted to sleep, and I wasn't hungry," Remus said, smiling as Ivy placed a hand on him to not fall behind his fast walking pace.

        "You should just stay in your dorm. You know, it's strange that those three and I have never caught your sickness even though they've been around you every time," Ivy said, smiling. Remus wanted to scream.

        "Yeah. I guess it's a bit strange," Remus said as Ivy turned away, looking around the corridor, "Well, I gotta go to History of Magic. Bye!"

Ivy waved goodbye and walked away, pondering about why he was sick, and why her or the three other baboons hadn't caught his common cold yet. Maybe he just wasn't contagious? Maybe she was overthinking the whole situation.

"Shit, Shit, Shit. She's gonna figure it out," Remus said as James pushed up his glasses, "she has half of it. The other half is why I'm always sick when it's around the full moon."

"When she does figure it out, it will be okay. There is nothing you can do to stop it except stop hanging around her. And then she'll have even more time to think of why you're always sick," Peter said, thinking, "so there is nothing you can do."

"Gee, thanks Peter," Remus said as he covered his face with his hands, "what the hell am I supposed to do?"

"Just give her time. I think she'll find out no matter what we try to do," Sirius said as they walked to History of Magic, slightly worried about the brown haired Ravenclaw girl.

•••