Such a Softer Sin Chapter 8

Funerals, drunkenness and revelations.

-----------------------------------

It had been three days since Lila had last seen her mother, four since the awful night her grandfather had passed away. It was the day of the funeral and there was a sombre air in the boys apartment as they all got ready. She'd stayed at their place every night since. They offered to take her home and after she broke down, they realised she couldn't face being back there. They couldn't say they blamed her, they wouldn't want to be there either. So instead, the twins had graciously offered their place to her. She insisted she would find her own place and be out of their hair soon enough, but the boys found themselves hoping she wouldn't. They liked having her there all the time, they couldn't imagine the place without her now. They had gone the day prior to grab her things for her. She didn't have much and had no desire for the furnishings, she didn't want a reminder of the place she shared with her grandfather, instead they just brought her clothes and personal items in trash bags for her. The only other thing they had took was the couch after Lila had insisted, theirs was 'a pile of shit' according to the girl, they couldn't deny it, and hers was new and practically unused. She was beyond grateful for their help. She'd called her landlord and told him she was moving out, he was more than accommodating since he knew what had happened and he even gave her the deposit back despite the fact the lease wasn't up. She'd been sleeping in Murphys bed, whilst the twins shared Connors. She never told them but she'd woke up a few times to see them cuddling and it made her smile. They bickered like children when they were awake but she could see when they were asleep how they needed each other, sought each other out. It was endearing. Not that she would ever tell them that.

She used the money from the deposit to buy a dress for the funeral and suits for the twins. They had flat out refused for her to pay for them so she checked the size of their clothes and bought them anyway. They'd given her a lecture about it but really they were grateful, there was no way they could have afforded it on their own. Her dress was a black long sleeve boat neck skater dress that came to her knees. She was wearing it with ankle boots with a small heel and some tights. She had her hair half pinned up and the boys wanted to tell her how beautiful she looked, but they couldn't bring themselves to. It was the day of the funeral, it didn't feel appropriate. The boys had simple suits, white shirts with black slacks and a black tie. Lila thought they looked handsome, but getting Murphy into a tie was proving harder than she thought.

"Hold still Murph, Jesus!" She scolded, trying to tie it for him since he had tried about 100 times and failed, much to his brothers amusement who was sitting at the table watching them both with a goofy grin.

"Lords name." Murphy muttered miserably, glowering at his laughing twin.

"Yeah Murph, hold still." Connor snorted, he was already dressed and ready to go and he had no issues with his tie. Although seeing the lass fawn all over Murphy trying to do his, he felt like maybe he should have feigned not being able to tie it.

"Come on Murphy, keep still!" She chided, squinting up at him as he wriggled around and tugged at the neck of his shirt.

"I'm fuckin' tryin' m'girl, feels like yer chokin' me." He huffed, although it came out more as a whine which only served to make his brother laugh even more. Murphy hated ties, their Ma used to have them wear them for mass every Sunday when they were younger. He hated them then and he hated them now. He would have just refused to wear one but he knew how much today meant to the girl and he wouldn't deny her this.

He finally stilled long enough for her to tie it and she smiled up at him as she smoothed it out. Feeling her hand stroke down his chest like that made his mouth dry up and he blinked down at her. She looked a fucking vision dressed up like this as she smiled up at him. Would it be so inappropriate to kiss her right then? The look Connor was giving him was a clear yes, of course the fucker knew what he was thinking, he was in his damn head. Instead he opted for a bright smile, it satisfied her enough that she returned it and moved away. Connor stood up and went over, wrapping her in a hug he knew she would need today. She melted into him, burrowing her face in his neck as she just let him soothe her. The twins had a way of calming her, their scent grounding her. He gave her a small smile when he moved away and she felt Murphy tug on her wrist, pulling her to him for another hug. She took comfort from him, the way his hand always went into her hair when he hugged her. They hugged so different yet each one was equally wonderful, she realised it was her new favourite thing, a MacManus hug.