Such a Softer Sin Chapter 16

MacManus birthday time. Murphys overwhelmed by his gift and Connor freaks out.

Some major feels in this one, not all of them good.

-------------------------------

It was Friday, the boy's birthday, and as she presumed, they hadn't told her about it. She hadn't let on to them that she knew, or else her surprises would be ruined. She felt so excited to give them their gifts. She had always got great joy out of buying things for people and surprising them, she loved the looks on peoples faces and how happy she had made them. Rocco had thankfully helped her with Connors gift and he even kept his mouth shut. He feared if he didn't she just might kill him. When he found out what she was buying the boys, he was a little shocked, to say the least, she was really going to town on spoiling those two fuck faces. But it made him happy that she cared about them enough to do this for them. It was hard for her to keep it from the boys, they had both been sour about her spending time with Rocco without them.

~

The boys sat on their couch side by side, matching indignant scowls on their faces as they glared a hole through the piece of paper in Connors' hands.

Gone for breakfast with Rocco, be back later.

Lila xoxox

"Why the fuck weren't we invited?!" Murphy asked incredulously, so fucking offended that Lila had gone out to eat with Rocco and left them behind. It was the day after the bar fight, and when they woke this morning, they found Lila gone and instead a note.

"I think we should go and fuckin' find out." Connor huffed, equally offended as his twin. Lila hadn't told them she had arranged to meet Rocco alone. It wasn't that they might get jealous, they would and she knew it, they got jealous of anyone she spoke to that wasn't them it seemed. But she knew if she told them, they'd just fucking come along anyway and she wanted some time with her friend alone for a change, he'd be helping her with Connors gift and she needed to keep it from them. She felt like she never got any time with Rocco that wasn't with the twins and as much as she loved them, sometimes she needed a nice chat to someone that wasn't them. Connor and Murphy didn't think anything suspicious was happening between the pair. They knew Rocco didn't have a death wish and they were more than sure Lila didn't think of Rocco that way. But still, the fact they had been left out made them sulk.

When Lila had returned afterwards, to find the brooding twins, she scolded them for acting like children, she had even brought up their fight to prove her point, and that she was allowed to speak to people that weren't of the MacManus persuasion. Her bringing up the fight had them shutting up quickly and they got the fuck over it, they didn't want to drag all of that back up, not after she had graciously forgiven them. Neither was Lila, and she wasn't really mad, she had simply used it to her advantage knowing they felt too guilty to keep on at her for it and eventually find out about the gift.

~

She wanted to make sure she spent roughly the same amount on their gifts so it didn't seem like she was playing favorites. This meant Murphy gift was shiny new and top of the range, whereas Connors gift was second hand, although in perfect condition. There was no way she could afford to get Connors gift as new. She hoped he'd understand. She was up before the boys, too excited to continue sleeping. She set their joint birthday card out of sight along with Murphy's gift that was wrapped nicely. Connor gift was much too large to wrap and had to be outside anyway. She cooked them a good hearty breakfast and as she anticipated, the smell of it roused them from sleep as she plated it up. She rarely cooked breakfast for them, she wasn't really a morning person the twins had noticed, so they usually went to the diner. So when they sat up sleepily rubbing their eyes, taking in the sight of Lila cooking, fully dressed and seemingly wide awake, they had an awful feeling the little lass had kept her mouth shut about knowing exactly what day it was.