Such a Softer Sin Chapter 12

Drowning sorrows and dealing with the aftermath.

Headcanon; The boys' accent gets thicker when they're drunk, emotional or nervous.

---------------------------

The first hour of drinking was done so in silence, awkward at first like no one knew what to say. It eased into a more companionable silence after the alcohol started working its magic though and by the end of the hour, they were all well on their way to being drunk considering the amount of whiskey drank. Rocco had been the first to talk, he hated awkward situations and comedy was like his knee jerk reaction. So he opted to tell some funny stories from work and succeeded in making them laugh. Then Connor joined in, telling his own stories or commenting on Rocco's. Lila and Murphy had stayed silent. They kept glancing at each other and locking eyes until one of them would look away. There was still the large elephant in the room but neither wanted to address it tonight, they'd much rather get drunk instead of dealing with the problem. A few more drinks in and Murphy finally warmed up enough to join in the conversation, and in their usual fashion, the twins told stories, switching it up between them as they told them.

Lila was laughing her ass off by this point at one of the twins' stories from when they were only 10 years old. The alcohol had done wonders to ease her tension as well as the boys and they weren't thinking about the events of the night. The four of them had flushed cheeks and were practically swaying as they sat as their brains were saturated in alcohol.

"-so obviously Murph was furious, he was gunnin' for Jimmy Flanagan like a fuckin' pitbull. Bare in mind, Jimmy is a huge fuck, five years older than us, but Macho Murph here fuckin' went after him anyway!" Connor laughed animatedly, eyes lighting up as he told the story with his hands waving all around.

"Aye, but I wasnae gonna let him say that shit about ye deartháir (brother), only I can say that shit about ye." Murphy snorted, making a fist with his hand to prove his point.

"Yeah well, a lot o' good it did ye, ye went down like a sack o' shit from the first punch!" Connor laughed loudly as the others erupted into a chorus of laughter.

"Fuck you! I was ten! He was fifteen, at least I had the balls te even go after him!" Murphy scowled offended, making his twin laugh even harder.

"Aye ye did. But t'was Ma that ended up whoopin' his ass inte next week for hurtin' her precious wee Murph." Connor howled, remembering his mother's fury at the asshole that dared to hurt his brother as the others laughed.

"You can't be serious! Your Ma kicked hi--" Lila's sentence was cut off by a rather loud burp that left her lips and she slapped her hand over her mouth as her eyes widened. There was silence as the boys looked at her shocked before they burst into a fit of hysterical laughter. Lilas' cheeks flushed but she snorted and shook her head.

"Fuckin' hell lass, think ye've been hangin' around with us too much." Connor laughed, looking at her incredulously.

"How the fuck did that burp come out of a tiny thing like you?" Rocco snorted, looking somewhat impressed and also amused. She glanced to Murphy and he was looking at her with a small smile, shaking his head. She felt a warmth spread through her chest and she smiled back before looking down. Even with the alcohol, she was still conflicted and she hated it. She missed how things were, she missed Murphy. Her mood was going downhill rapidly.

"Why didn't you guys just tell me you liked me instead of being dicks?" She blurted out, the alcohol apparently making her brain filter malfunction. She glanced at Murphy and then Connor, noticing their laughter stopped abruptly. Connor shifted awkwardly where he sat. He didn't really expect the question, it caught him off guard. Murphy glared at his hands and chewed his lower lip, suddenly feeling anxious. Rocco felt like he was intruding so he got up and slipped onto the fire escape to have a smoke, not wanting to stick around whilst shit got serious.