Chapter Ten

Mr. Weasley came home with Winky late that night, but she was so distraught that Ruby kindly sent her to Hogwarts to work there, so she wouldn't have to see wizards.

Percy, Remus, and Mr. Weasley were barely seen at the Weasleys for the next week. They were so busy helping the Ministry that they were up long before the rest of them, and they returned well after dinner. The only day they saw them was the afternoon before September first.

"It's been an absolute uproar," Percy told them at dinner. "I've been putting out fires all week. People keep sending Howlers, and of course, if you don't open a Howler right away, it explodes. Scorch marks all over my desk and my best quill reduced to cinders."

"Why are they sending Howlers?" asked Ginny.

"Complaining about security at the World Cup," Percy responded. "They want compensation for their ruined property. Mundungus Fletcher's put in a claim for a twelve-bedroomed tent with en-suite Jacuzzi, but I've got his number. I know for a fact he was sleeping under a cloak propped up on sticks."

The two mothers glanced up at the grandfather clock in the corner. Edward liked this clock; it didn't tell time, but it had nine hands, all of which represented a Weasley. Eight of them were currently pointed at "Home," but Mr. Weasley's was still pointed at "Work."

"Your father hasn't had to go into the office on weekends since the days of You-Know-Who," Mrs. Weasley said worriedly. "They're working him far too hard. His dinner's going to be ruined if he doesn't come home soon."

"Well, Remus hasn't had proper work ever," said Edward, "so I think he's grateful for overwork."

Everyone was in the dining room, waiting for Remus and Mr. Weasley to return. Hermione and Topaz were immersed in the same copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4. Harry was polishing his Firebolt, and Onyx was trimming the twigs on his Nimbus Two Thousand and One. Ron and Ruby were playing a chess game. Edward was watching the clock as well, although Remus wasn't displayed on it. Bill and Charlie were watching the chess game with interest. The twins were in one corner of the room, whispering under their breaths.

"What are you two up to?" Mrs. Weasley frowned.

"Homework," said Fred.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're still on holiday," said Mrs. Weasley.

"We have to do it sometime, don't we?" Ruby asked without looking up from her chess game.

"You're not by any chance writing out a new order form, are you?" Mrs. Weasley asked sharply. "You wouldn't be thinking of restarting Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, by any chance?"

George looked up at her, a pained look on his face. "Now, Mum, if the Hogwarts Express crashed tomorrow, and Fred and I died, how would you feel to know that the last thing we ever heard from you was an unfounded accusation?"

Everyone laughed at that except Edward, who chuckled.

"Oh, your father's coming!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed, staring up at the clock.

Mr. Weasley's hand had flicked to "Traveling," and now shot to "Home". A moment later he was striding in through the door with Remus behind him, both looking exhausted.

"Well, the fat's really in the fire now," said Mr. Weasley as he and Remus sat down at the table, after being hugged by Mrs. Weasley and Gem respectively. "Rita Skeeter's been ferreting around all week, looking for more Ministry mess-ups to report. And now she's found out about poor old Bertha going missing, so that'll be the headline in the Prophet tomorrow. I told Bagman he should have sent someone to look for her ages ago."

"It won't be long before she writes about me," said Remus bitterly, poking at his food.

"If she does," said Ruby heatedly, "I'm going to hex her, I don't care about rules of underage magic, you were the best Defense teacher ever- ARG RONALD CHECKMATE AGAIN?!"

Everyone laughed.

"I think you'd all better go upstairs and check that you've packed properly," said Gem amusedly.

"Yes," said Mrs. Weasley. "Come on now, all of you...."

They all trudged upstairs.

"It's been a week," said Harry as Edward began re-organizing his trunk. "You don't reckon Sirius has been caught, do you?"

Onyx and Topaz went white at the idea, but Ruby snorted.

"No, it would've been all over the Daily Prophet," she responded dismisively. "The Ministry would want to show they'd caught someone, wouldn't they?"

"I think he's coming back," said Edward as he neatly laid his socks on top of his folded robes. "Remus thinks he is, too -- I told him two nights ago, after you'd all gone to bed," he added when everyone stared at him. Having finished re-organizing, he turned to his bed and frowned. "What's this?" There was a flat, thin package on top of it.

"I got one, too," said Topaz. "And Onyx. We didn't open them."

"I've got one, too," said Harry, picking up the package on his bed.

Edward unwrapped the package to find handsome scarlet dress robes. He glanced over to Harry;  his were bottle green.

"I've got dress robes too," said Ron; they were maroon. "Why are they always maroon?" he asked with a sigh, making Onyx and Ruby snicker.

There was a knock on the door, and Mrs. Weasley entered, carrying an armful of their Hogwarts robes.

"Mum, will you please stop sending me maroon things?" Ron demanded. "I hate maroon."

"Why do we all need dress robes this year, Mrs. Weasley?" Topaz asked calmly.

"It said on your school lists that you're supposed to have dress robes this year, robes for formal occasions," said Mrs. Weasley, frowning at Ron.

"I'm never wearing them," said Ron irritably. "Never."

"Oh Ron," said Edward exasperatedly, "I'll just change the color when we get to Hogwarts! Stop complaining."

"Do Hermione and I need dresses?" asked Ruby.

"Gem bought you and Hermione dresses," Mrs. Weasley told her warmly. "Beautiful dresses. Yours is on your bed."

Ruby squealed and rushed out of the room.

"I thought Ruby wouldn't be the type to like dressing up," Ron frowned.

"She likes dancing," said Onyx, rolling his eyes, "and she says it's a bit hard to dance in pants."

"She used to hate dressing up." Topaz smiled knowingly at Edward, who flushed. "Then she met a certain someone and couldn't wait to 'beautify' herself, as she called it."

"What's this?" asked Mrs. Weasley, looking interested.

Edward turned even redder, and Onyx and Ron snickered.