Chapter Nineteen

When Edward, Draco, and Onyx got to the Gryffindor table the next morning, they found that Ron was alone at the table. Topaz, Ruby, Hermione, and Harry were nowhere to be seen, and Ron looked sulky.

"Where's Harry?" Onyx asked Ron, confused.

"How am I supposed to know where the great Boy Who Lived is?" Ron asked heatedly. "Probably practicing for an interview-"

"Ronald Weasley," Edward said furiously, "you did not abandon Harry after his name just came out of the Goblet of Fire? You didn't just abandon him when he's feeling anxious, and scared? Someone is trying to kill him, you idiot, and you abandoned him???"

Ron had looked alarmed when Edward started snarling at him, and now he looked horrified. "Someone -- someone's trying to kill him?" he asked quietly.

"Well duh," said Onyx -- he and Draco both looked angry.

"Go apologize," Edward said coldly to Ron. "I have to send letters to Padfoot and Moony." He marched off, leaving the three boys to find Harry.

Ten minutes later he'd sent off two school owls, one in the direction of Remus' apartment, the other after Sirius. He hoped they would get them soon, because he needed information.

Dear Remus,

There are not three, but five champions. Someone enchanted the Goblet of Fire to think there were two extra schools. Harry and I both came out of the goblet after the Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, and Hogwarts champions came out of the goblet. The only people who could do it are the adults -- Moody or Karkaroff did it. I'm leaning more towards Moody because Karkaroff, according to Draco, is a coward.

I also want you to find anyone that is connected to Bartemius Crouch that is now or was a Death Eater. Winky was dragging or was being held back by an invisible person, and not two minutes after we saw her the Dark Mark was cast.... I don't have time to research this, I have to teach Harry spells that will protect him.

Edward

His letter to Sirius was similar. He'd sent Sirius the same first paragraph, and after that was this:

Please find newspapers about Death Eaters caught after Voldemort died, and names of influential Death Eaters that are still alive and concidered innocent. (I already know about Lucius Malfoy.)

--------------

The school was abuzz about the three Hogwarts champions. The Slytherins were all rooting for Edward (except Zabini, Crabbe, Goyle, and Parkinson); the Hufflepuffs wanted Cedric to win; the Ravenclaws were divided, cheering for both Cedric and Edward; and the Gryffindors couldn't decide between Harry and Edward.

The Hufflepuffs, usually warm towards the Gryffindors and Edward, had suddenly gone cold towards them. They thought Harry and Edward had stolen Cedric's glory, and most of them went out of their way to be rude. Only Cedric and Melissa, who was happy and kind to everyone, still spoke to them.

The Slytherins were now on mostly-good terms with Harry, Ruby, Ron, Hermione, and Topaz, but they didn't want Harry to win. Only Zabini, Crabbe, Goyle, and Parkinson still treated them like scum.

Which was why Edward had come to dislike Care of Magical Creatures.

"Ah, look, boys, it's the champions," Zabini sneered when Edward and Harry, followed by Onyx, Draco, Ruby, Ron, and Hermione, came into earshot. "Got your autograph books? Better get a signature now, because I doubt they're going to be around much longer.... Half the Triwizard champions have died-"

"I don't give autographs," Edward said so coldly that the four sneering Slytherins took a step back and went white.

They were all distracted when Hagrid emerged from the back of his cabin, holding a tower of crates, each containing a three-foot-long Skrewt. Now they had developed a kind of thick, grayish armor.